Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brisket...I want to smoke a brisket
Awesome, always nice when your hard work turns out good.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
(07-23-2018, 11:27 AM)SurfnSafari Wrote: Well my take on success, or failure is if the person doing the cooking, and the people doing the consuming of the Brisket were happy with the results.  Nothing come off perfect the first time at doing, most thing.  

My father said it best once, that being the ability to cook well is simple.  Before WW-II he work on luxury cruise ship and spent a lot of time in the kitchen watching their chefs.

You must read the recipe, follow directions, and last start with good ingredents.

Then the tweaking comes making the basic recipe your, or your special version.
That's good advice.

Since this was my 1st time doing brisket, I was hoping for it not to a total f%@k up.

I was a bit surprised that it came out as well as it did.  I just tried to follow the basic directions & not do anything crazy.
The rub was just salt & pepper & I went with "less is more" when applying it.

I think I'll have to do a couple of more, similar to this one, before I start to play with the rub & type of wood used.

Planning on ribs next...maybe Wednesday.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I do realize, I need to get a better knife, to use when trimming off some of the fat.

Also, I think I'm going to do a little spraying, maybe once each our, of some apple cider vinegar.  I've heard & read that it helps to keep the moisture in.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(07-23-2018, 02:56 PM)Tonto Wrote: I do realize, I need to get a better knife, to use when trimming off some of the fat.

Also, I think I'm going to do a little spraying, maybe once each our, of some apple cider vinegar.  I've heard & read that it helps to keep the moisture in.

One of the best & cheapiest knives I use is a filleting knife, the one I have was purchased in the fishing tackle departmet of a sporting good store.  I think I have had it over 20 years, knives do not wear out, just need occasionally sharpening.

It was like $7.00 - $8.00 it blade is long, thin, and the advantage of it is you can filet a fish with it.  So it is easy to do trimming any meat because the long & thin blade makes it easy to maneuver around a brisket.

It is also what butchers call a boning knife, they are available at Wal-Mart, or most of the Bed & Bath stores inexpensive.
Looked good Jan! Nice job!