Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you really care what the individual blend of a Cigar is? How it reviews in points
I am just finishing up reading a few articles in my latest Cigar Aficionado, and honestly I am kind of a K.I.S. person, keep stuff real simple.  So of the Cigar review are just boiler plate receptive, and boring.  Nothing seems to get slammed for being awful, bad, or not good.

I understand freelance writers get paid per published word in some publications, but sometimes they just go on and on, or maybe not report all good News.

I try and keep everything simple when trying some new Cigars, I do as little research as probable, trying to find out what might have a flavor profile i might like.

Then buy 3 - 5, smoke them, rate them on my personal scale, if their good I buy more, if the horrible I don't ever buy again.

IMHO Cigars are actually simple, once you get past the two most difficult things connected with Cigar smoking IMHO.  Learning to cut the Cap properly, learning to light the foot properly, so you don't ruin a perfectly good Cigar.

Last part is keep smoking what you personally enjoy & like, no matter how good some third party who is not buying your Cigars for you says a brand or blend is.  (B & M Clerk example). When a friend gives me something to try, and I hate it.  I am polite say if asked, "it was interesting with a big smile".  When leisure time activity become too much work, it becomes work K.I.S.  LOL
I personally like the Halfwheel reviews / news stories. 

I have a variety of smokes in my cabinet & I really haven't smoked that many dog rockets in my day.

I do read reviews & mainly listen to cigar podcasts (Cigar Authority, Cigar Jukebox) are two of my favorites & that's how I mainly keep up with new cigars. 
I don't go out of my way to buy anything but if I run across something or if someone posts something about a sale; well I'm weak..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I read Half-Wheel every day, enjoy their e-mails I get in the early am. Cigar Aficionado is a very cool magazine that I get for free with survey points, I honestly would not buy it. As I feel their target audience is those making over 150K a year. I am not getting inline to buy a $15,000.00 Wrist Watch, or $1,000.00 bottle of spirits. Recently someone point me to a pretty good Cigar Blod, Tiny Tim's Cigar World, they guy does great photos, his reviews are down to earth, and well written.
I usually don't read too many reviews.  I mostly go by "word of mouth" from fellow cigar smokers. 
I do care what the individual blend of a Cigar is, as I tend to prefer tobacco grown from some areas & dislike tobacco grown in others.  So it helps me narrow down my choices.  I will at times, try others though, as your tastes can & do change.

I don't give a damn how a cigar reviews in points...this is in regard to taste, as everyone has their own tastes & mine are not your & vice-versa.  I do check on the quality of manufacture though.

In the end, it's smoke what you like & like what you smoke.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I have personally had a B & M clerk sell me on some fablious stick that turned out to be a dud.  A long time a B & M Clerk gave me this Robesto made by Davadoff for his employeer as their private abel as a sample of something wonderful.  

I took the Davidoff home, put it away like 3 months on in proper tempeture, and humidity.  So one winter day I lit the thing up, to me was like smoking Alfa straw.  Nothing special or wonderful.  I told the guy being polite when I finally told he I smoked it, "It was intresting".

Maybe my thinking or reasoning is like the character Jack Nicholson played in One Flew over the KooKoo's' Nest.  But to me a Cigar is similar to Wine.  What taste good to you, is what you should be smoking.  Us guys with non professional palates, are not like professional taster who protect their palates.

I eat a lot of very hot & spicy, drink beer, lots of black coffee, plus am on a hand full of medication twice daily.  All these thing effect my palate.  My taste buds, are like my right thump print, mine, and mine alone.

JMHO Have a nice smokey day, enjoy a Cigar you think is great. Smile