Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
greetings from UK
Welcome!
This is my boomstick!
(03-10-2018, 02:51 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: Welcome from California, Smiling and Farmer John!

Where in the U.K. are you guys from and what is your go-to smoke?

Doug

Thank you Doug and everyone else for the warm welcome.

I have been reading with interest the threads on Cuban cigars but I think I am not allowed to contribute directly just yet?  However, thought it might be of interest to tell you a little of my limited experience of Cohibas (and to be honest I am bursting to tell someone about this).  Anyway, here goes:  My lovely wife bought me some Cohiba Esplendidos (Churchills) for Christmas the year before last.  Although there are fakes available in Europe, generally, it's the real deal and going by the taste they were very much real Cohibas.  However, I was smoking one last summer and it just wasn't quite right - almost the same flavours but the draw was too tight and also an extra something  . . . unpleasant?  After struggling halfway through I decided to quit and put it out and then gently dissected the remaining half - it had proper long filler and binder etc but also a ruddy great woody stem right down the middle!

I can only speculate but I assume that someone at the factory was not having a good day when it was rolled?  In general terms I have found that 1 in 10 Cuban cigars are poorly made and when you consider that, over here in the UK, an Esplendido will normally cost the equivalent of $55 each then it's a big risk to have one set aside for a very special occasion.

A. Fuente cigars on the other hand. . . . I have smoked a couple of boxes of their Hemingway Best Seller and all 100% perfect!

Best wishes, Cor Blimey an' God Bless you every one
Once you have a few posts Farmer John then the site will open up fully.

Nice story. I usually enjoy a Por Larranaga with my coffee or a mid morning smoke. A Partagas No.4 Serie D is one of my favorites along with a Cohiba Mumcero (Lancero).
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Hi and welcome to SC from California!

(03-10-2018, 04:43 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Once you have a few posts Farmer John then the site will open up fully.

Nice story. I usually enjoy a Por Larranaga with my coffee or a mid morning smoke. A Partagas No.4 Serie D is one of my favorites along with a Cohiba Mumcero (Lancero).

I have never tried a Por Larranaga but I am with you for a nice cool smoke with morning coffee. My current fav petit corona is a Rafael Gonzalez, I'm not good at describing flavours but it has a sort of honey after taste along with a lovely toasty tobacco aroma? Also H. Upmann petit coronas.  I think H Upmann is my favourite Cuban brand.  I have tried a couple of Partagas - Series E No 2 and also a Lusitanias, smoked one of each but not really sure?  I had read reviews raving about Partagas and I did enjoy them but not overwhelmed like I was hoping? I have not tried a Cohiba Lancero, generally not tried any Lanceros.  Over here the tobacco taxes and the retailers' profits are such that you will pay twice as much for a Churchill of the same brand as for a robusto.  When I first discovered America - as in a place to but cigars mail order I was overwhelmed at how little you chaps pay and so started off buying Churchills - my first box was a box of Ashton Classic churchills for an astonishing $200 whereas the same cigars bought in the UK would cost $650 assuming you could actually find them! I still have about 10 of them left and after aging they have developed into something really fantastic.  So, for a long time I bought nothing but big cigars ie for me that = value for money.  Problem being I then found rarely had enough time to smoke one properly and appreciate it fully.  Finally penny dropped and started buying smaller vitolas.  I now realise that I love perfectos (Hemingways) and I have also dabbled with a few different Lonsdales - Alec Bradley Coyol petit lancero.  Really nice but although it's called a lancero it's really a Lonsdale?

Sorry, I'm babbling like a toddler but I have a lot to learn and it seems the choices in cigars are endless.

Cheers
(03-11-2018, 02:47 AM)Farmer John Wrote:
(03-10-2018, 04:43 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Once you have a few posts Farmer John then the site will open up fully.

I have never tried a Por Larranaga but I am with you for a nice cool smoke with morning coffee. My current fav petit corona is a Rafael Gonzalez, I'm not good at describing flavours but it has a sort of honey after taste along with a lovely toasty tobacco aroma? Also H. Upmann petit coronas.  I think H Upmann is my favourite Cuban brand.  I have tried a couple of Partagas - Series E No 2 and also a Lusitanias, smoked one of each but not really sure?  I had read reviews raving about Partagas and I did enjoy them but not overwhelmed like I was hoping? I have not tried a Cohiba Lancero, generally not tried any Lanceros.  Over here the tobacco taxes and the retailers' profits are such that you will pay twice as much for a Churchill of the same brand as for a robusto.  When I first discovered America - as in a place to but cigars mail order I was overwhelmed at how little you chaps pay and so started off buying Churchills - my first box was a box of Ashton Classic churchills for an astonishing $200 whereas the same cigars bought in the UK would cost $650 assuming you could actually find them! I still have about 10 of them left and after aging they have developed into something really fantastic.  So, for a long time I bought nothing but big cigars ie for me that = value for money.  Problem being I then found rarely had enough time to smoke one properly and appreciate it fully.  Finally penny dropped and started buying smaller vitolas.  I now realise that I love perfectos (Hemingways) and I have also dabbled with a few different Lonsdales - Alec Bradley Coyol petit lancero.  Really nice but although it's called a lancero it's really a Lonsdale?

Sorry, I'm babbling like a toddler but I have a lot to learn and it seems the choices in cigars are endless.

Cheers

That's interesting Farmer John, about the petit coronas...my favorite size (well, I do like others as well Big Grin )   I have 4 kids & when I came home from work, I'd like to relax in the backyard, on the patio, with a cigar.  Now, with 4 kids, it was just a matter of time before there was an issue that would force me to stop smoking my cigar.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Farmer John, you have a great taste in cigars, and, yes, the British VAT is next to ridiculous. London, especially, is a lethally expensive city.

The best Cuban I have smoked was a well-aged Saint Luis Rey serie A. Domestics: I am an Illusione Epernay whore.
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
(03-17-2018, 08:04 PM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: Farmer John, you have a great taste in cigars, and, yes, the British VAT is next to ridiculous.  London, especially, is a lethally expensive city.

The best Cuban I have smoked was a well-aged Saint Luis Rey serie A.  Domestics: I am an Illusione Epernay whore.

Thank you.  Yes, the tobacco tariffs plus the VAT is severe with the kind of sanctimonious view of, because it's clearly bad for you, it is the Government's duty to tax you till you are either broke or quit.  Personal choice is removed unless you are wealthy.  Consequently, to be seen to smoke a cigar it is assumed you are rich and have money to burn - which is, perhaps, sort of fair, but that is why I smoke privately and certainly want to avoid anyone from knowing I like cigars. No such thing as a rich farmer lol as I buy all my cigars from abroad.

I love Saint Luis Reyes cigars.  I had only tried the Regios until I managed to get a box of churchills (via Spain for $170 - if available in the uk then probably cost around $700!!!).  Very similar taste to the regios and sublime.  Very hard to find Series A here and would love to try them.
(03-15-2018, 11:36 AM)Tonto Wrote: That's interesting Farmer John, about the petit coronas...my favorite size (well, I do like others as well Big Grin )   I have 4 kids & when I came home from work, I'd like to relax in the backyard, on the patio, with a cigar.  Now, with 4 kids, it was just a matter of time before there was an issue that would force me to stop smoking my cigar.

As a kid we always thought "wow", when you saw someone in the films smoking a really big cigar - like a Churchill or even bigger!  However, as part of my new found appreciation I realise that there is a different size for every occasion.  Leastwise maybe I should say most occasions? Dodgy  perhaps with kids around it's hoping for too much to light up anything bigger than a half corona? Sad