Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a Pastrami...an experiment
Some Notes:
I feel the rub was too wet, once the garlic was added. That made it harder to put on & it clumped & stuck together too much. I out on too much, even though the recipe called for that. Next time, the rub will be a little different & will be much dryer.

Also, with ribs, I used yellow mustard on the ribs 1st, so the dryer rub sticks better. I think if I try this again, I do that too.

The meat has to be sliced as thin as possible...meat slicer is needed, IMHO.

Meat must be served warm.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
The temperature setup with the remote, worked great.  It was so easy to use, I didn't have top ask my son for help. Big Grin
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Looks good Jan!
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
Having sandwiches right now, on rye bread, with sauerkraut.  Knish, with mustard, and pickles on the side.

Thinner pieces of the meat seem  fine, texture wise.  The thicker pieces are tougher, almost rubbery.  Taste is not bad though, not quite pastrami, but close.  But it has too much salt, as least for me, even though it soaked in water for a little over 5 hours.
Nice Jan, would you do it again?
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(08-20-2017, 11:10 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Nice Jan, would you do it again?

Yeah, I'd do it again, but with some changes & some more research first.

For starters...
I'd either soak the meat a lot longer to get more salt out of it, or find a low salt version and still soak it.
I'd use a different rub, less of it & apply it using yellow mustard so it sticks on better.
I'd need a meat slicer, to slice it as thin as possible.
I'd also prep some stuff more ahead of time & get the meat on the grill way earlier in the day.