Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atlantic Cigar Co....Data Breach
I got my letter today. I don't hold any ill will towards Atlantic. It seems like everybody's been hacked at least once. I give them credit for being up front about it.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
(03-21-2017, 09:21 AM)Benfishin1 Wrote: I got my letter today.  I don't hold any ill  will towards Atlantic.  It seems like everybody's been hacked at least once.  I give them credit for being up front about it.

Yeah, I know everyone will get hacked at some point and I'm not pissed at Atlantic for that. 

But I have to wonder...I haven't used them in at least 4 to 5 years...probably longer...how long do they hold the credit card info?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
That is why the regulations are so strict with storing credit card information. Full credit card numbers should never be stored, and if they are they should be encrypted. The 3-digit ID number on the back of the card is not allowed to be stored beyond a few days. But most companies don't have a clue, or have software developers that don't know and that leads to issues. Bottom line is anything can be hacked no matter how secure it is. Not making yourself an easy target is key. If they had encrypted that information properly then the worst would have been name/address details. Given someone must of had full access to the database, it might have been an inside job.

Or maybe someone simply intercepted the transmissions of the card numbers being run versus an actual site/database exploit. I doubt we will ever really know the full details.
I didn't get a letter cause I probably hacked larry's card infor and used his.  Blush
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I got the letter too. I only use one card with them and it is not one I use regularly so it should be easy for me to keep track of.