Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on running Cat 5
Hey computer people...

I am going to run some Cat 5 cable at the new house from the office where the router will be to the TV room to connect up the TV, Dish Receiver, Roku, etc. so that I am easing the burden on the WiFi a bit...

I am going to buy bulk cable and a crimper with some connectors to make my own, as it will be much easier to feed down the walls and such.

I know that there is cable rated for wall and attic runs, so I guess the main question is - are there any other factors to consider, or is Cat 5 or Cat 5e sufficient?

The plan is to run just that one cable to the TV room and have a switch there to connect everything.   I'll also run a line from the router to a switch in the office for all of my devices there.  Other runs may happen in the future.

Thanks for input/advice/etc!

Here's my setup MayTag:
[Image: 20161117_143622_zps2xe4uxh9.jpg]
I ran lines years and years ago (probably before wireless was a term). I ran a  line in each bedroom, up to the attic and down to the basement and to my main study. The hub is in my main study hooked up to the router etc.. Did all cat5 and only had one problem with a line. I had to have someone come in and  recrimp a line as I probably disconnected a wire pulling it thru a wall.  
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Do cat 6 if you can afford it. Run more drops than you think you need. Get a decent crimper and a tester if want a little less stress. Practice.
No Justice, No Peace!
I wish I was handy enough to do nice in wall runs, but I just went under the floor. I've always heard pure copper is better than copper clad aluminum, but I think mines CCA and I've never had an issue. Although if I was going to do it again, I think I'd just do powerline adapters.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
I have often thought about replacing drywall, and remodelling my house. And running cabling at that time. Then I think about all that work, and go watch TV instead.

Someday though, I may do it.
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
Also, if you plan to have any security cameras...run those lines too.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Thanks guys!

Got 100' of cable to start, and a nice set of Klein crimpers... (that go along with some of my other Klein electrical tools)

I really just need this one drop the way things are in the house... and this one is the toughest of any that I may do in the future anyway.

My dad is bringing a fish tape to try and follow some speaker wires up into the attic... and my a$$ will be up there waiting.. LOL

I also need to pick up some romex... the old owners had a ceiling fan in the den that was wired to an outdoor extension cord that was plugged into the same outlet as the furnace up in the attic... WTF?

This will be a fun day... Big Grin

Keep us posted Bill..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Well, ran the cable with me up in the attic and my dad down in the house with the easy job... it was not too bad - just had to drill down through a header with a spade bit to drop the line. Once I get wall covers on and the cable to where it needs to go (on both ends), I'll be good to go for crimping.

I had a fun time with the Romex... but you'll have to check Nick's thread for that... Big Grin