Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else have a local cigar maker ?
So here in Austin, TX I'm lucky enough to have Bobalu Cigar Co. , they are a small business with 2 shops where they employee several rollers. I love this place , the cigars are great , they have a nice variety and there something about smoking a fresh rolled thats ...well pleasing for lack of a better description. The shops are open so when there you can see and talk to  rollers at work , which just adds more to the over all experience. And the best part is the prices are great, you can even pay 50.00 a year to be a vip and get 50% off singles ! If your  ever in Austin, check them out ! or watch the video - 
(03-11-2016, 11:11 AM)Roger - The Bargain Hunter Wrote: So here in Austin, TX I'm lucky enough to have Bobalu Cigar Co. , they are a small business with 2 shops where they employee several rollers. I love this place , the cigars are great , they have a nice variety and there something about smoking a fresh rolled thats ...well pleasing for lack of a better description. The shops are open so when there you can see and talk to  rollers at work , which just adds more to the over all experience. And the best part is the prices are great, you can even pay 50.00 a year to be a vip and get 50% off singles ! If your  ever in Austin, check them out ! or watch the video -

Sounds like a great place.  I'd love to see them making the cigars & try some fresh too.  I have a few small b/m near me, but nothing really good.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
That would be really cool.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
We have a place by us. The guy rolls his own, not too shabby of a smoke but not on my go to list.
He does private events etc.

http://cortezcigars.com/main/shop/
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
There a bunch of guys in Newburgh rolling blunts, if that counts. There is actually someone in Middletown, and Fishkill i think.
No Justice, No Peace!
(03-11-2016, 01:17 PM)nayslayer Wrote: There a bunch of guys in Newburgh rolling blunts, if that counts. There is actually someone in Middletown, and Fishkill i think.

LOL , I know what you mean, I moved to Texas from the Hudson Valley 12 years ago ( Staatsburgh / Rhinebeck area)
There was a place up in Sacramento (about an hour north) that I used to go to regularly called Casillas cigars... Way back in the day they were downtown and you could watch them roll, and the old man would always grab a freshie off a roller's table and throw it in the bag as an extra for you.

We used to light that one up right outside the store and smoke it there before we left.

In the years since, there was a family split with one side changing the name and opening a new spot to the point and there are some in other areas as well... It has been so long now that I don't know who's who, and which of the businesses is connected to the original.

They weren't bad smokes, but like in Jimmie's case, not on my go-to list either...

Here in CO, we have rollers pretty much everywhere. They're just not rolling cigars. That looks awesome!
(03-11-2016, 05:43 PM)MaytagMan Wrote: There was a place up in Sacramento (about an hour north) that I used to go to regularly called Casillas cigars...    Way back in the day they  were downtown and you could watch them roll, and the old man would always grab a freshie off a roller's table and throw it in the bag as an extra for you.

We used to light that one up right outside the store and smoke it there before we left.    

In the years since, there was a family split with one side changing the name and opening a new spot to the point and there are some in other areas as well...   It has been so long now that I don't know who's who, and which of the businesses is connected to the original.

They weren't bad smokes, but like in Jimmie's case, not on my go-to list either...

This is the new shop: http://hatueycigarsca.com/

Also in the area is Don Felix, hes the son of one of the Fuente's (which is how/where he learned to roll)... He was one of the few rollers allowed to roll the Opus X & Hemingways... He did so for over 20 years.