Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bodybuilding gone bad
By RAF CASERT

AP Sports Writer

BRUSSELS —
Ready to flex their pecs and strike a pose, bodybuilders at the Belgian championships scattered when doping officials showed up.

After a spate of positive doping tests in recent years in Belgium, the event had been moved across the Dutch border to Vlissingen for the weekend competition.

"They must have felt safe out there," doping official Hans Cooman told the Associated Press on Monday.

But Cooman and two colleagues got the necessary papers to check the tournament in the Netherlands. And when they identified themselves just before the event - with the 20 bodybuilders weighing in and preparing themselves - the testers drew quite a response.

The bodybuilders got up and left, preferring to quit rather than submit to doping tests. Some grabbed their gear and headed straight out the door.

"They must have been flabbergasted," Cooman said.

Bodybuilders usually take months to prepare for such championships, yet the sight of controllers was too much for them.

"I have never seen anything like it and hope never to see anything like it again," Cooman said.

Bodybuilding has a long history of doping, and Cooman said this latest flap "didn't do its reputation any good."

Last year, 22 of 29 tests were positive, either for steroids or for refusing testing, a failure rate of a staggering 75 percent.

"This was the first time though we turned up in the Netherlands," Cooman said.

Minutes before the start of the championships, before even one gleaming pose was on display, organizers had no option but to tell a few hundred fans that had come to the Arsenaal theater that there was not point in staying.

Now Cooman and his colleagues will report the case to the disciplinary committee, which will have to decide whether the bodybuilders can be punished because they refused to be tested.

A man who refused to give his name at the NABBA Belgium bodybuilding federation could not explain why the competitors had suddenly rushed off and would not discuss the matter.
I like smoking lightning
carl609 Wrote:A man who refused to give his name at the NABBA Belgium bodybuilding federation could not explain why the competitors had suddenly rushed off and would not discuss the matter.

Gee, could it be they were afraid of popping positive????

I can respect the amount of dedication that it takes to be competitive, but steroids have ruined the sport methinks
Eh, it  puts it on a different level.  People think you can just stick a needle in you and boom you get huge.  Not so. You actually have to work harder on steroids to see the full benifit and it lets you workharder as well.
They have different classes of bodybuilding, like power lifting and a few other sports.
There's the open class and now an increasingly popular natural class that is tested (i believe).
btw A good documentary about steroids in sports is "Bigger Stronger Faster"

But all the pros are getting so huge anymore, its just sort of silly.