Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hacker gets 41 months
Okay... This thread is about to be derailed. It's not about one of our members.

Rather, its about a hacker that shouldn't be getting jail time for his, bringing of attention to AT&T's negligence. Or I suppose, depending on your perspective... It's about a hacker who should have gotten more time in Jail.

I've rarely weighed in on matters of moderation around SC for two reasons: (1) I've agreed to take on a more technical role and I made it a condition I wouldn't have to handle day-to-day stuff; (2) I really don't feel like dealing with the day-to-day.

That said, I'm going to say this... The direction this is going, is just dumb. I'm not taking sides, I'm just trying to head off a level of stupid jabbing in between men who are old enough to know better.
Let's move on and stick to the subject matter.

I had a problem with my router (Belkin), as an orange light was flashing.
I called them and they told me someone was trying to hack into my PC etc. Wanted to sell me a service to stop it from happening. They really scared me for a while. After 30 minutes of B.S., I just hung up on them. I did some research and found out either my wife, me or one of the kids accidentally hit a key that trigger a wrong password or something. Anyway, I reset the password and the orange blinking light went away.
Damn Belkin guy scared the hell out of me but what a bunch of B.S. they were selling / telling me.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Wow... Thats just bad.
Its all about the money! Sometimes I wonder if the anti-virus companies actually fabricate viruses to keep themselves in business. lol!
Hehe... The constant threat of __________ will always keep them in business.
That mindset isn't entirely without precedent. It's a concept akin to folks at a dishonest repair shop selling unnecessary repairs to folks that aren't auto savvy. You don't sell many "exhaust bearings" unless you're able to convince folks that they need them.
The theme of the post was the sentence. Terry was arguing that it was too lenient and I could not agree more. This hacker did not publicize a flaw, he published the personal information of 100,000 people! Yeah, it doesn't sound like much but what if you came home one day and found someone broke into your house and put all your valuables and personal papers on your front lawn and left. What should that guys punishment be? After all, all he did was point out a flaw in your front door lock.
And what if he did it to 100,000 people?
Saying "Rule of thumb is to never put anything on the net you cannot afford to become public, stolen, or used against you." just emphasizes how out of control this stuff is. Maybe if the legal system properly punished hackers there would be less of them. Maybe if they weren't glorified as geniuses or as helpful imps helping to point out security flaws there would be less of them.
I think the courts have yet to put this stuff into perspective.
Just because you could break into my house... does that mean you should? Do I need to bar all my windows and triple lock all my doors and hire professional agencies to patrol my property?
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer