Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet Speed
I just had my speed increased at my house to 50/10 Mbps. I was running around 20/5 before and never really noticed a big difference other than when I upload files it seems to go faster now. I hope to get FIOS in my area, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Are you just using their data or did you get a bundled package?
I'm data plan only. Have DirecTV for another year contract. I really don't care for the TV offering from Comcast. Seems their HD channels are limited and I really hate their guide. It looks like something from the 80's Atari boot screen.

Are you running wireless Dooley? or are your systems wired?
I have four machines wired and two seperate access points that typically have anywhere from five to ten devices connecting to them. No servers and I'm not hosting anything or anything like that, I'm just a telecom major that likes having toys in every room that run fast. I also work from home a lot and need to dial into customers and do some uploading/downloading of SQL databases that can get pretty big so a solid fast connection both up and down is nice.
(02-02-2013, 02:37 AM)Admin Wrote: Well, I bought a new router today. Linksys E2500 which is a 300/300Mbps setup. Installed it and guess what....same damn bottleneck! Wireless capped around 22Mbps. Tried the new USB card which is a 300Mbps card...same thing. DAMMIT!

In the meantime, I was deciding what to do with my old router. Kinda made me made mad because the router has no problems and while its older, it cost me a good $200+ at the time. I looked for a bios update from Linksys and had no luck. Most current was installed. Searched Google for people that had similar problems and came across a site called DD-WRT.com They are a group that makes their own bios for many routers, basically turning a cheap $80 router into one with the features of a $500 router. Found a bios file for my WRT350 and installed it. BOOM! Not only did it completely update with a ton of new features, it also gave me 802.11n version 2. Funny how Linksys could not do that, but a 3rd party bios could! Now I'm smoothly running at top speed!

All I have to do now is return the $80 router I just bought. If anyone has an older router and wants to make some real improvements to their network, look at http://www.DD-WRT.com to see if your router is supported. I'm impressed!
that's some good info. I have a new router (my old one drowned in Sandy), but I bought (& will always buy) the good old linksys G router http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...4AodI2cASw

I dont like the bloatware that comes with those other routers.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Thats a good router John! Linksys / Cisco makes some nice equipment. I was frustrated that upon calling their support department that they didn't have a solution for me. They tried everything to sell me a new router, including giving me free shipping and $10 off. Their last bios update was years ago and it only supported 802.11n (draft). Everything now is 802.11n V2. When I flashed the old router with the DD-WRT version for my router I instantly had the full V2 version. Even better, I was able to shut off all the wireless bands except G and N. I have no use for the A/B and no point in cluttering up the channels for my neighbors. The only problem was I didn't fully read the instructions before I flashed the router. Yesterday I had to do it again, the proper way, and its working beautiful now. (I was loosing my internet connection every 30 minutes, but still was connected to the router) I had skipped the step to reset the router between flash updates using the 30-30-30 second routine. Basically before and after you flash you need to hold the reset for 90 seconds straight. 30 while its on, 30 after you pull the power, then 30 more when you plug it back in. When I broke down and actually followed the instructions (I hate to read..lol!) it fixed everything.

Your old one that drowned in Sandy might still work. Chances are the power died before any water got to it. Might not hurt to open it up and make sure its all dry and give it a try! It might just power up!
I was thinking that... Thinking I could play with this one and have the new one to fall back on if I brick the thing.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
My home service is 100up/100down, but of course over wifi that's kinda rare.

Right now I use an Airport Extreme, and I am getting pretty decent speed:

[Image: 2498147721.png]

That's what the laptop is getting while stream Netflix on the living room TV.
I'm using Verizon...seems to be doing okay after the "contract re-negotiations"

[Image: 2498178014.png]
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles