Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini Digital Hygrometer math ?
I recently purchased a HT06-3306 Digital Hygro Thermometer. Within the last 3-4 months I have really gotten back into cigars again so I picked one up. Just to see how accurate my analog was. I wanted to make sure it was calibrated first. Put the Hygro in a 75% Boveda calibration kit, and could only get it up to about 68-69%rh after 24 hours. I also did the salt test. After 12 hours I couldn't get the Hygro up past 68. Then I took the Hygro and a Boveda 72rh packet and placed it in a small tupperware. After 12 hrs I got to a 70rh reading. Left it there for a total of 24 hours. Reading was 69. With this being my mark now, and knowing that the rh in the tuppwerware was really 72. I put the Hygro in my humidor and it reads 68-69.

So if my math is correct my Hygro @ 69rh = 72rh. difference of -3.
So would this be correct?
69=72
68=71
67=70
etc..etc.....
Do I have this right now?

p.s. there is no calibration dial on this unit. Looking to upgrade it this weekend. And suggestions on a better digital hygro I'd love to hear it. Thanks folks.

(Mods...if this is in the wrong section please move it)
Sounds like yours is reading low by about three points.

I have been using a Caliber III in my humidor for a while now, and the company that makes it now has the Caliber IV out. Thing has been perfect since the first day, and the battery lasts forever. I think the current one is the one that came in it...
I have a set and forget system in my end table cabinet, set at 65% and I never have any worries. Besides the cabinet I have 3 humidors. I have two digitals and one hasn't worked in over a year.
I guess my point is every now and then I add distilled water to the humidors. I judge my reading by how they smoke. Winter time I service them more often then the other 3 seasons.

One of these days I'll get around to buying new gadgets.
I hear the Xikar's are good.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(01-05-2013, 10:13 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: I have a set and forget system in my end table cabinet, set at 65% and I never have any worries.

Best humidification system there is, hands down. Best purchase you can make for any humidor. Soo happy with mine.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
(01-06-2013, 03:09 PM)Mark Wrote:
(01-05-2013, 10:13 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: I have a set and forget system in my end table cabinet, set at 65% and I never have any worries.

Best humidification system there is, hands down. Best purchase you can make for any humidor. Soo happy with mine.

Mark: whats the name and model of the one you have? thanks
It's only for large humidors like end table cabinets, towers etc. About $300.00.

http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/electronic.htm
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
For smaller humi's, I have had excellent results with the Cigar Oasis. You do still have to play the +/- game gauging from your calibrated digital hygrometers, but once you dial them in, you're golden.

I'm currently running the Hydra XL, and keep four of the little adjustable Xikar hygro's in different areas in my end table. It stays pegged at 65% in any season.
I will be keeping this setup until I upgrade to the Aristocrat Humidor and humidifier at the end of this year...

Others swear by heartfelt beads. I have no experience with these, but in any scenario, it's best to have calibrated digital hygrometers in your humi.

My $0.02
(01-06-2013, 07:25 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: It's only for large humidors like end table cabinets, towers etc. About $300.00.

Thats it. I have the one with two humidifiers and two fans
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
(01-06-2013, 08:19 PM)Mark Wrote:
(01-06-2013, 07:25 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: It's only for large humidors like end table cabinets, towers etc. About $300.00.

Thats it. I have the one with two humidifiers and two fans

That's right up my alley. I am in the process of either buying a larger humidor, or making one myself. So thank you for the info. Much appreciated.
(01-05-2013, 09:00 AM)Boomshaker Wrote: I recently purchased a HT06-3306 Digital Hygro Thermometer. Within the last 3-4 months I have really gotten back into cigars again so I picked one up. Just to see how accurate my analog was. I wanted to make sure it was calibrated first. Put the Hygro in a 75% Boveda calibration kit, and could only get it up to about 68-69%rh after 24 hours. I also did the salt test. After 12 hours I couldn't get the Hygro up past 68. Then I took the Hygro and a Boveda 72rh packet and placed it in a small tupperware. After 12 hrs I got to a 70rh reading. Left it there for a total of 24 hours. Reading was 69. With this being my mark now, and knowing that the rh in the tuppwerware was really 72. I put the Hygro in my humidor and it reads 68-69.

So if my math is correct my Hygro @ 69rh = 72rh. difference of -3.
So would this be correct?
69=72
68=71
67=70
etc..etc.....
Do I have this right now?

p.s. there is no calibration dial on this unit. Looking to upgrade it this weekend. And suggestions on a better digital hygro I'd love to hear it. Thanks folks.

(Mods...if this is in the wrong section please move it)

Almost...
The 3 points you calculated to be off may be true at that humidity and temperature, but at different humidities and particular different temperatures it may be off by a different amount.
That's the technical answer. The practical answer is, use the 3 points and be happy. It isn't enough of a difference to make a difference
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer