Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earphones
My Etymotics finally gave up the ghost on my way to my last tour so I bought myself a pair of Bose earphones as being without music is beyond unacceptable during my time away.

These proved to be fine, but were missing "something".

So, I'm please as punch, that after a lot of searching and testing, I have opted for Shure SE 425's.

Dual drivers, separate woofer and tweeters and most of all ..... superb sound quality.

I intend to get myself fitted for IEM's (In ear Monitors) in the very near future, but the cost (£590) is just not justifiable for the time being.

http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/hea...onitor.php

What type of headphones or earphones are the rest of you guys listening with
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
AWESOME but out of my league. I have been a headphone purist all my life and just love em to escape. I just don't buy into the upper end buds and just use the basics for my ipod. Good luck with them Dave.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Same as T, I tend to lose mine so I stay with the 20 pair or so.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I use custom IEM's. I have gone through 5 different sets of customs. and many pairs of shures and others. My current favorites are the westone es5. My list thus far of customs I have had are westone es2, ultimate ears ue-5c, ultimate ears ue-11 pro, westone es-5, and Ultimate ears reference. As far as non customs I have used sure e2, e3,e4, e5, many sony, and many more. Once you go custom you will never want to go back. Soon you will be looking at amps for your portable players. Stay away from Head-fi.org. BTW Jerry Harvey invented the IEm's and created ultimate ears. He was with them till a few years back when he sold them to Logitech and created JHaudio. They are great products. I want a pair of jh16 but that would be another 1200.00 and I dont need to spend that again.
I have custom fitted ear plugs that my company paid for and have to admit that the fit and feel (comfortable to the point of forgetting they are in) is one of the reasons I am really keen to go down the custom IEM route. I have some damage to the cartilage of my right ear from an old infection that went medieval on me, so most in ear phones get uncomfortable after a while. My journey in to the 425's is as a result of looking for a 95 out of 100 clarity without spending $1000 as earphones do get damaged to the point of needing replacement. Things like cables getting twisted or sweat damage, ear sweat getting inside the monitor and solidifying to the point it cant be removed or simply general damage means they are not a lifetime purchase or in some cases even a long term ownership ...... but .... I dont like the sound quality of cheap in ear phones and I dont like anything resting on the top of my head, let alone the hassle of traveling with headphones in general (too bulky and still have the hassles of damage and twisted cables).
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Mmmmmmm ....... JH Audio ...... Davie like ...... I have looked at amps, but still want to steer clear of any un-neccessary gadgets for transporting around at the moment (yeah right hahahaa)

I used to be an audio snob ..... separates in hifi components in search of that perfect and purist sound ...... but my daughter came along and the money tied up in hifi was better needed so all of my equipment was sold and portable players were my purist escape as opposed to the middle of the range Bose sound we have in the house these days from docking stations.

I can see me buying an amp for the house .... but then the search begins for the best portable player ...... :0/
I am using an ipod classic 160 with a portable amp from headamp and custom line out dock. Its a great combo, but there are cheaper combos out there. Total cost of my setup was around 2k for portable bliss. Here are two different setups. One was around 900.00 and other was around 2k.
[Image: IMAG0199.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0200.jpg]
Just had the moulds taken yesterday for my custom fitting sleeves for my 425's ..... I'm already impressed with the quality and cant wait for the comparison

then

amp?????

Maybe
VERY impressed with that set up Tarheel

Can you describe the difference with the amps?

I guess I'm looking fr something to relate to?
425,s complete with custom moulds

I'm as happy as a pig in shit, the sound is superb with the 425s on their own, but with the custom moulds it is fantastic