Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Adams Charges $150 to $190 a Bottle for "Utopias" Beer
Sam Adams Charges $150 to $190 a Bottle for oak barrel aged "Utopias" Beer

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-revie...opias-beer

http://uncrate.com/stuff/sam-adams-utopias/

On the Samuel Adams website
http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-bee...me=utopias

Sweet fire, with a rich malt and wood complexity.

Truly the epitome of brewing's two thousand year evolution, Samuel Adams Utopias offers a flavor not just unlike any other beer but unlike any other beverage in the world. The 2009 release is a blend of batches, some having been aged up to 16 years in the barrel room of our Boston Brewery, in a variety of woods. We aged a portion of the beer in hand-selected, single-use bourbon casks from the award-winning Buffalo Trace Distillery. The latest batch also spent time in Portuguese muscatel finishing casks, as well as sherry, brandy and Cognac casks. This flavorful, slightly fruity brew has a sweet, malty flavor that is reminiscent of a deep, rich vintage port, fine cognac or aged sherry.
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
Correction Sam Adams MSRP on Utopias is $150 what retailers charge for it is total different. That being said it is worth it.
--Mike
You have tried it?
I am trying to imagine what it tastes like.

(11-08-2012, 01:47 PM)wtfdic Wrote: Correction Sam Adams MSRP on Utopias is $150 what retailers charge for it is total different. That being said it is worth it.
(11-08-2012, 01:48 PM)Ari Wrote: You have tried it?
I am trying to imagine what it tastes like.

(11-08-2012, 01:47 PM)wtfdic Wrote: Correction Sam Adams MSRP on Utopias is $150 what retailers charge for it is total different. That being said it is worth it.

Yes I have had it. It was many years ago now and every batch is different but I am sure it is still just as good.

Sure enough to have a bottle on the way.
--Mike
Some retailers have been charging upwards of $250.

I have had this years batch and it is phenomenal!

I will be picking a bottle up shortly. I was going to buy a bottle of Pappy 18 but i think im going to grab a Utopias instead.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
(11-08-2012, 04:19 PM)Mark Wrote: Some retailers have been charging upwards of $250.

I will be picking a bottle up shortly. I was going to buy a bottle of Pappy 18 but i think im going to grab a Utopias instead.

Make up your mind!
--Mike
(11-08-2012, 05:31 PM)wtfdic Wrote:
(11-08-2012, 04:19 PM)Mark Wrote: Some retailers have been charging upwards of $250.

Make up your mind!

What mike said. Ha
(11-08-2012, 05:31 PM)wtfdic Wrote:

Make up your mind!

HAHAHAHAHA!

I figure Pappy is available multiple times a year. This 10th Anni Utopias is only going to be available once.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
I'll sell you one for $450 lol
This year marks the 10th anniversary of Samuel Adams Utopias. It’s a huge milestone for Samuel Adams, and as a brewer, I’m excited to share this beer because I think it exemplifies our passion for brewing and the use of innovative and sometimes extreme ingredients and techniques. Before we release Samuel Adams Utopias, I wanted to share some thoughts on how it all began.

The back story:
More than 20 years ago, I started thinking about the far reaches of the beer universe. As big brewers were making their beers lighter and lighter, I was curious about the other end of the beer spectrum and wanted to continue exploring the uncharted territory of extreme brewing.
Brewing an “extreme beer” was an adventure in brewing with an uncertain outcome. After several years of exploration, I released Samuel Adams Triple Bock in 1994 and set the record for the strongest beer ever (17.5% ABV). This was also the first time that any brewer in the U.S. had aged a beer in barrels previously used for other alcoholic beverages. This practice is now one of the mainstays of American craft brewing.
Triple Bock, the ancestor of all of our Extreme Beers, served as the archetype for Samuel Adams Millennium, a brew which commemorated the year 2000.
In 2002, we introduced Samuel Adams Utopias which shocked the beer world with an incredible 24% ABV. With each new batch of Utopias, I was eager to push for more complexity and strength, producing brews with alcohol levels reaching 27% ABV over the last 10 years of Utopias’ existence. Though we’re still putting the final touches on this year’s batch, it’s looking like the 2012 Utopias will net out between 28% to 30% ABV – an unprecedented level. That said, while some of our barrels have reached over 33% alcohol, we refine the final liquid with taste as our primary goal, not alcohol percentage.
The 10th Anniversary release of Utopias is proof that extreme beers have earned a permanent and respected place in the beer universe, a world now constantly evolving with new craft brewers and excited craft beer drinkers. I’ve always had a passion for pushing the envelope of traditional brewing techniques and rewriting the rules of brewing, a passion which is evident in each batch of Samuel Adams Utopias bottled. We’re unveiling the adventure of complex and carefully timed brewing and aging for this 10th Anniversary release. In fact, this year’s brew is a blend of batches including some of our original Triple Bock from 1993, and then aged in other barrels sourced from all over the world.

How we brewed the 2012 batch:
The traditional brewing techniques we use in all of our beers shines through in this extremebrew. We begin with a blend of malts that impart the rich, ruby-black color. Distinct hopcharacter from the Noble hops imparts complexity and balance. During fermentation, we alsouse a yeast strain normally reserved for champagne.
The 2012 Utopias brew was aged in hand selected, single-use bourbon casks from the award winning Buffalo Trace Distillery to enhance the beer’s distinct vanilla and maple notes. Our 10th Anniversary batch also spent time in a variety of finishing casks: Tawny Port casks and Vintage Ruby Port casks from Portugal, which contribute slightly more elegant, dark fruit aromas, and Rum barrels from Nicaragua, which add flavors of fig, chocolate, raisin, vanilla, and a slight spice.
We make fewer than 15,000 bottles of this limited-edition beer due to the long aging required. Samuel Adams Utopias is bottled in a specially designed 10m Anniversary, black decanter. Shaped like a brew kettle, the exterior is etched with roots, a metaphor for the 20+ years of complex history and aging of the liquids that make up Samuel Adams Utopias.

I hope you enjoy sipping Samuel Adams Utopias as much as I enjoyed crafting this beer over the past 10 years.

Cheers,
Jim Koch
Founder and Brewer

Fact Sheet: Samuel Adams Utopias 10th Anniversary Batch

Since the birth of Boston Lager in 1984, Founder and brewer Jim Koch has made it his mission to change. American beer drinkers’ perception of what beer can be, and challenge himself as a brewer. In 2002, the first batch of Samuel Adams Utopias was introduced with a complex flavor profile unlike any other beer, and an incredible ABV of 24%, making it the strongest naturally-fermented beer to date. Samuel Adams Utopias was brewed again in 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011, with Jim continuing to aim for more complexity, eventually pushing the ABV to 27% and potentially higher for this year’s batch.

2012 10th Anniversary Batch:
Though we’re still putting the final touches on this year’s batch, it’s looking like Samuel Adams Utopias will net out between 28-30% ABV in 2012 an unprecedented level.
Brewed using traditional methods, we begin with the world’s finest, all-natural ingredients, including a blend of two-row Caramel and Munich malts that impart the rich, ruby-black color. Distinct hop character from Noble hops – Hallertau Mittlefrueh, Spalt Spalter and Tettnang Tettnanger – imparts complexity and balance. Samuel Adams Utopias is brewed with ale yeast and a yeast variety typically reserved for champagne.
Rivaling the world’s finest cognacs and ports, our brewers recommend serving this strong, rich, un-carbonated dark beer as an ideal after-dinner drink at room temperature (about 70°F) in 2oz pours.
The 2012 batch of Samuel Adams Utopias is a blend of liquids, some of which have been aged in a variety of wood barrels for 19 years. This long aging process enhances the beer’s distinct vanilla and maple notes, and its high alcohol content creates a heated aroma of ginger and cinnamon. As a result, Samuel Adams Utopias invokes the flavors of a rich vintage Port, fine Cognac, or aged Sherry while feeling surprisingly light on the palate. The brew has sweet flavors of honey, toffee, caramel, cocoa and vanilla, balanced by distinct notes of molasses, raisins, plums and berries.
After blending, Samuel Adams Utopias is aged in finishing barrels sourced from all over the world. This year’s batch was finished in single-use bourbon casks from the award-winning Buffalo Trace Distillery to enhance the beer’s distinct vanilla and maple notes. This year’s batch also spent time in a variety of finishing casks: Tawny Port casks and Vintage Ruby Port casks from Portugal and Rum barrels from Nicaragua. The Port casks contribute the slightly more elegant, dark fruit aromas while the Rum barrels add flavors of fig, chocolate, raisin, vanilla, and a slight spice. From these barrels, we created a completely, new brew, never crafted before, for our 10th Anniversary.
The complex flavors intensify individually over time, making Samuel Adams Utopias a very special brew that becomes even better with age.
The 2012 limited-edition lot of Samuel Adams Utopias is bottled in a specially designed 10th Anniversary, black decanter, shaped like a brew kettle and etched with roots, a metaphor for the 20+ years of complex history and aging of the liquids that make up this final brew. Only 15,000 bottles of the 10th Anniversary batch are available, and we look forward to toasting this monumental occasion with our drinkers.
The exclusive, limited distribution brew will be available at select specialty beer and liquor stores starting in November for a suggested retail price of $160 per bottle.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"