Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hurricane Sandy
Anyone watching this thing? Looks like the latest predictions are it coming up the coast. I feel like there is a bullseye on us here on Long Island. We got lucky here last year...but others got hit hard.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Suppose to hit NJ Monday morning.

Sandy Approaching the Central Bahamas

Updated Key Points
• At 1100am EDT, Hurricane Sandy was located near latitude 22.4 north and longitude 75.5 west, or approximately 65 miles south of Long Island, Bahamas.
o Sandy is moving toward the north at 16 mph, and this general motion is expected to continue through Thursday night with an increase in forward speed expected overnight and Thursday. A turn toward the north-northwest and a decrease in forward speed are expected tonight.
o The center of Sandy will move off the coast of northeastern Cuba this morning, near or over the central Bahamas by tonight, and near or over the northwestern Bahamas on Friday.
o Sandy is forecast to remain at Hurricane strength into Monday.
• Maximum sustained winds are near 105 mph, with higher gusts. Sandy is a Category Two hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.
o Some weakening is forecast over the next 48 hours.
• Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 25 miles from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 140 miles.
• An Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft measured a minimum central pressure 964 mb (28.47 inches).

Updated Summary of Watches and Warnings
• The Hurricane Warning for Cuba and Haiti has been discontinued.
• A Hurricane Warning remains in effect for:
o The Ragged Islands in the Southeastern Bahamas.
o The Central and Northwestern Bahmas.
• A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for Haiti, the Florida East Coast from Ocean Reef to Flagler Beach, Lake Okeechobee and the remainder of the Southeastern Bahamas.
• A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for the Florida East Coast from north of Flagler Beach to Fernandina Beach, the Florida Upper Keys from Ocean Reef to Craig Key, and Florida Bay.

Updated Hazards Affecting the United States:
• Wind:
o Hurricane conditions are expected to spread across the central and northwestern Bahamas today through Friday. Tropical storm conditions are expected in the warning area along the East Coast of Florida tonight and Friday, and are possible in the watch area Friday night. Winds will gradually subside over eastern Cuba today.
• Rainfall:
o Sandy is expected to produce total rainfall amounts of 6 to 12 inches across Haiti and the Dominican Republic, with isolated maximum amounts of 20 inches possible. These rains may produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides, especially in areas of mountainous terrain. Rainfall totals of 3 to 6 inches are expected over portions of the Bahamas, with isolated maximum amounts of 12 inches possible. Rainfall totals of 1 to 3 inches are
possible across the Florida Keys into southeast and east-central Florida.
• Storm Surge:
o The combination of a dangerous storm surge and the tide will cause normally dry areas near the coast to be flooded by rising waters. The water could reach the following depths above ground if the peak surge occurs at the time of high tide:
 Hurricane Warning area in the Bahamas - 5 to 8 ft.
 Florida coast within warning area - 1 to 2 ft.
 Water levels will begin to subside in Cuba and Jamaica later today.

NOAA/NWS Activities
No updates received since previous message
• The NWS Southern Region - Regional Operations Center (SR-ROC) is currently at Level 1 Operations (24x7 hours). The SR-ROC has updated FEMA Region IV through email briefings.
• The NWS Operations Center is currently at Level 3 operations (20x7).
• All NWS Weather Forecast Offices in the Contiguous U.S. (CONUS) are taking special soundings to support this event. This is the first time that all CONUS WFOs have been requested to take special soundings in support of an event.

Updated Graphics
Forecast Track for Hurricane Sandy as of 11am EDT, October 25, 2012, from the NHC.

Tropical Storm Force Wind Probabilities for Tropical Storm Sandy as of 11am EDT, October 25, 2012, from the NHC.

5-day precipitation forecast from the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center (HPC) for the period from this morning to Tuesday morning.

Links
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.sht...l#contents

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/25/world/amer...?hpt=hp_t1
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
We will be praying for you guys on the East coast. Hang in there
Git R Dun!
I just read it will be a tropical storm but its huge. Lots of rain...
this Bitc- Sandy is mad, this is suppose to be like Irene if we get a direct Hit we will have alot of Rain and wind
I'm effed.

The surge is supposed to surpass Irene. In Irene the water came within 3 inches of my back door. My garage was under water as was my car. My stainless steel BBQ was half submerged and is shot. I lost my landscaping ties and so much more stuff as the tide receded and my stuff just floated away. The water came within 1 inch or less of ruining my air conditioners. My bait freezer in my garage shorted out...

If it is any worse than this I'm screwed. The eye-target as of right now is around delaware. It could not be worse. When I left my house this morning I drove through around a half inch of water. The tide had my street submerged. We are coming up to a full moon and not any ordinary full moon. Sandy is due to hit at high tide.

here are some low-resolution pictures form my security cameras I captured. Irene hit while I was in Aruba.
[Image: ScreenCapture_037.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_036.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_035.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_034.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_033.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_038.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_030.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_029.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_027.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_026.jpg]
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
[Image: ScreenCapture_023.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_022.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_021.jpg]

[Image: ScreenCapture_016.jpg]
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
All of the East Coast could be screwed. I'm better prepared this year with a back up generator and all the stuff at the beach house is already put away.

I'll test the generator and make sure I have enough gas to get me thru (just in case).

Last year's pics:

http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-23149.html
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Oops sorry. Delete my other thread on this matter. Lol
I second that!

(10-26-2012, 01:20 AM)stoneiraq Wrote: We will be praying for you guys on the East coast. Hang in there
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”