Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are cubans so good?
I was in Israel not too long ago, and I was fortunate enough to have the time to find a cigar shop. First thing I did was ask for the Cubans. The man pointed me to a section of the humidor and pulled down a R&J for me. I think it was a gran reserva, or something like that. This was before I had gotten back into smoking. I wish I had kept the band, or at least taken note of what it was. Dumb @$$ me!
It was expensive, and I probably paid more than I should have, about 100 sheckles, which I think was around 20$

Later that night when we let them up, they were incredible. Perfect draw, smooth, flavorful, burned perfectly, I smoked it till there was nothing left to smoke.
This is the same experience that I've had with the 4 Cubans I've been able to enjoy outside the US.

I'm curious, are they just a higher quality cigar than what I'm used to smoking? I don't usually pay more than 10 for a smoke. If I chose more quality sticks, would I have similar experience (from good brands)? Or are Cubans inherently made better?
From what I've read, many Cuban cigar makers have just moved to other countries, they do the same thing that they did in Cuba, except they don't have the same plants.
Support my Movember team to support Prostate and testicular cancer awareness at: http://us.movember.com/team/747249

I used to live within walking distance of the shop at Ben Yehuda Street, was it there? the guy also owns the one in the new shopping center near Jaffa gate.

I also know a shop in Tev Aviv (different owners).
100 Sheckelim is closer to $26
When I lived there for two years I was so happy to have Cubans, but then they were all in this price range each so I did not get to smoke so often.

You can take the same seed from Cuba and plant it in another country, but it is "the soil". I believe outside of Cuba that Nicarauga has the best.

Cuban Cigars are good, but quality control has gone down lately. Also most of them are shipped out right away after rolling so you have to let them sit a while in the humidor, where as most of the non-Cuban Cigars are aged for about 6 mos or more after being rolled before being sent out.
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
I didn't know that they didnt age Cubans. Thats interesting. Do you think it's because they have such a demand, they want to get as many out there as possible?
Support my Movember team to support Prostate and testicular cancer awareness at: http://us.movember.com/team/747249

I am not sure.
Another thing.. a while back (maybe 10 yrs ago or less) Cuba's cigar industry almost died out, many farmers went to another type of crop than tobacco because higher pay.

I hear many things though about bad quality control right now on Cubans. I still love them.

In America we have tons of choices, there are some VERY good non-Cubans out there. Oliva & Fuente just to name a few.

(10-24-2012, 11:43 AM)halfflash Wrote: I didn't know that they didnt age Cubans. Thats interesting. Do you think it's because they have such a demand, they want to get as many out there as possible?
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
Cubans are good, I dated a few in my day but I'm very happy I married a Danish / Polish lady.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(10-24-2012, 12:34 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Cubans are good, I dated a few in my day but I'm very happy I married a Danish / Polish lady.

Isn't Jam married to a Cuban woman?
--Mike

I'd love to try one of those too

I've had more than my share of not-so-good cubans
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
(10-24-2012, 12:36 PM)wtfdic Wrote:
(10-24-2012, 12:34 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Cubans are good, I dated a few in my day but I'm very happy I married a Danish / Polish lady.

Isn't Jam married to a Cuban woman?

No i was Married to a Cuban and Now a Italian lol
Good job jam, i love italians. Hahah. I love monte #4s and 2s but I also love other non Cubans more than Cubans.