Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigar shop etiquette
I want to go to my local cigar shop some nights and hang out, but I don't know any one there, most of the guys I see there are older (I'm 27), and it's a little intimidating. But F that, I'm going to sit down one night.

My question is, is there anything I should know? Unwritten rules of the tobacconist and such.
Support my Movember team to support Prostate and testicular cancer awareness at: http://us.movember.com/team/747249

Buy a smoke from the B&M. be yourself.
IF YOU AIN'T FIRST, YOU'RE LAST!!!!!!!
I have done this before. If they are good guys I am sure they will talk to you. Relax and smoke a few good sticks!
Agreed, buy a stogie, sit down, say hi and take it from there.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(10-20-2012, 07:43 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Agreed, buy a stogie, sit down, say hi and take it from there.

yeah, that.

"Barbera's" is a local b/m near me. They have a really nice lounge, but if your not a member, you need to buy a few sticks. I have no issues with that & always pick up at least 3 or more. I would just meet Skipper there & all the people there, both young & old were very friendly. Like Jimmie said, just say "Hi" & go from there.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Pretty much what everyone else said.... One thing to remember is you have something in common with the people there... You are all into cigars.
--Mike

Dick is right

If you need to do something to make yourself less nervous, buy a CA mag, a coffee and relax with your cigar

Remember this

Everybody in there was a new guy at some point, and you just have to look around SC to see the kind of people cigar smokers are on general
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Rule #1: You must buy at least one cigar and smoke it there.

Remember that the dude that owns this establishment is paying rent and has bills to pay. So don't walk in with a bunch of your own cigars and light up without at least supporting the store in some way. I think it's bad form to do that. But other than buying a stick there, I don't think you need to worry about anything else.

I went into a brick & mortar (B&M) shop one time, and bought a couple cigars. Then I sat in one of the chairs and started to chat with the fellas there. One dude actually told me, "You're sitting in XXXXX's chair"... like that chair belonged to some regular dude, and I was supposed to never sit there. I was like, "Fuck that dude, and fuck you too! I don't see his name written on it. You can come and get me out of this chair if you want to try it." I felt like that kind of clique-ish-ness was extremely rude. But you will encounter this in some places. I took my sweet time to smoke that entire cigar, and I've never been back to patronize that place again. I would have risked my life to keep my seat... that shit is just uncalled for, IMHO.

But I don't think you have to worry much about that. Each place seems to have its own set of standard conduct. But "be cool hunny-bunny" and you're more than likely to settle right in and make some friends. If you feel intimidated, find a big ass dude like me and go there with him... people will be less likely to insult a crowd. You have as much right to be there as anyone else. Rock on, dude!
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
(10-20-2012, 01:58 PM)Parkster Wrote: Dick is right

I never thought I would hear Parkster say that.Tongue
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I have met some of the nicest people I know at cigar shops, so just go in, be friendly and start talking to someone. Should grow from there.
"I do not save cigars for occasions that may not happen. Cigars make the occasion special, not the other way around."

Ryan