Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigar shop etiquette
(10-22-2012, 10:43 AM)irratebass Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 10:08 AM)nayslayer Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 06:20 AM)jam Wrote: I always ask Permission to walk into any Humidor .........

I've never heard this, sounds a little stuffy. Isn't it assumed that you are walking into a cigar shop that you would be interested in checking out the cigars?

This is more common than you would think....I get people all the time asking me if it's ok to go in our humi. I usually give them about 5-10 min by themselves then go in and ask if they need assistance.

We do the same at our shop. Greet, ask if they need help, let them shop. If they appear to be looking for something we just go in and ask again.

As for the original question, I agree on all above. Buy a stick or two, find a seat and start talking. Our regulars always look forward to meeting new folks.
(10-22-2012, 02:50 PM)US_Tank Wrote: Mario has his own bathroom at his shop!

He also has more Lockers the all members .......
I always thought the cigar shop and lounge was built around Marios lockers
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Cuba buys cigars from Mario
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
If we are not familiar with Spanish language and unsure of a cigar's name just ask the shop owner how to pronounce it, there is no shame in asking.

I can't stand when I see a guy that is acting like he knows it all and is saying ROWJOW for ROW-HO (spelled "Rojo" actually).
or
Ca-rEAL-oh for CA-rio (spelled Carillo)
or
An-edge-how for ah-ney-ho (spelled Anejo)

Why I am saying this is because this thread made me think of a few newb hobbyist yahoo's on youtube that review Cigars after having gotten into cigars LAST WEEK and act like they know it all while saying just about every single name incorrectly.

We are all living and learning as we go, and we will all make mistakes along the way, but a little humility to ask a question when we are unsure can sure go a long way.

I have been smoking cigars since around 1996 and I still a still feel like a newb in many ways.
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
My accent doesn't allow me to pronounce words from the English language correctly ..... how the hell am I supposed to pronounce Spanglish words correctly.

Then again

I do get a chuckle out of you guys from the colonies trying to pronounce Scottish place names and malt whisky names ..... so I guess we're even.
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
I am not talking about accents, I meant some people in this world try to act like a know it all. We have all met them.

Speaking of accents... How does someone Scottish pronounce ISLAY? (nowadays).
Here in Scottish Gaelic it sounds like he is saying IOWA like the state in the USA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay

Click the speaker symbol.

(10-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Parkster Wrote: My accent doesn't allow me to pronounce words from the English language correctly ..... how the hell am I supposed to pronounce Spanglish words correctly.

Then again

I do get a chuckle out of you guys from the colonies trying to pronounce Scottish place names and malt whisky names ..... so I guess we're even.
For a very long time, I always said "five Vegas" Because its the number, not the word cinco written out. Thinking about it now, I should have been more intuitive.
Support my Movember team to support Prostate and testicular cancer awareness at: http://us.movember.com/team/747249

Eh,
I always say five vegas as well. B&M owners and old timers are always correcting me though. It is hard to know every brand out there.

I'd be more concerned about knowing what types of tobaccos are being used in the industry like ligero (l'hair-O) or Connecticut broadleaf.

(10-24-2012, 10:51 AM)halfflash Wrote: For a very long time, I always said "five Vegas" Because its the number, not the word cinco written out. Thinking about it now, I should have been more intuitive.
(10-24-2012, 04:52 AM)jam Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 02:50 PM)US_Tank Wrote: Mario has his own bathroom at his shop!

He also has more Lockers the all members .......

I believe Mario own's the humidor. All the lockers are actually just plucking cigars form Mario's stash and donating that money to the shop owner for the pleasure of smoking one of Mario's sticks.

I'm not too keen on all the rules of smoking at a B&M, as I don't have one that I can smoke at. However, the ones I've been to where you can do that, everyone there has seemed to be really cool. Just walk in, pick out something, and chat someone up. Or, if you don't want to chat anyone up just start smoking and wait for someone to chat you up. Seems like the kind of situation where everyone's been there.