Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE REDBULL STRATOS jump from space! New HELMET CAM VIDEO FOOTAGE!
(10-16-2012, 10:43 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: So many of the medical equipment that is used to monitor and keep people alive was born from space exploration. In particular heart monitors. But it doesn't end there.

+1

But sadly, many people don't know that & think the space program is a complete waste of time & money. Sad
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
just freaken wow!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/20...lego-video
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
WOW!

Thank you Skipper for posting this! I enjoyed it greatly.

Talk about creative! I would like to see a small documentary on how they filmed it. One camera inside the bucket and one somehow above it on the tether.

And when they "start" filming it? before his actual jump?
I have attended film school in my past and making 40 seconds of film can even take many weeks depending on what is being filmed.

(10-16-2012, 12:49 PM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: just freaken wow!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/20...lego-video

“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
This is just freaking amazing.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Someday when the heart slows down and the medical bills pile up, this would be a great way to go!
I am watching this video for the first time. And we have audio! He sounds amazingly like Parkster! Anyone see Parkster lately?
Top oh the world Ma!!!!!!
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
I watched it live on Sunday...really amazing. I hope Baumgartner inspires even more to take the next giant leap into space exploration.
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
Check this out guys ....... its seems that for all of his efforts, there are those who look hard for the ulterior motive behind anything these days, its long, so I will apologies now, however, there are very good points in here.

Before this piece gets going, World of Sport will admit that it, like everyone else in the world, smiled in glee and disbelief at the awesome images of Felix Baumgartner skydiving to earth from 24 miles up on Sunday. It was a great show.
But since then WoS has had a nagging feeling that it has been had.
The whole thing was orchestrated so well by Red Bull's exquisitely oiled PR machine that WoS almost bought it hook, line and sinker. But now, looking back, there are just too many things which make it wonder if the whole thing wasn't really quite as magical as it first seemed.
So here are the five reasons why Baumgartner's jump was more about smoke and mirrors than balloons and parachutes.
- - -
1. The fake mission control
Part of the appeal of the live show - watched by a record eight million people, apparently - was the sight of clever-looking people being pictured back in some sort of office, orchestrating every move. But they were doing no such thing, of course.
NASA's space shuttles needed mission controls with everyone shouting at each other via their headsets because they were dealing with a machine containing 2.5 million moving parts (that's a fact, incidentally, not a far-fetched guesstimate to make a point).
By contrast, Baumgartner used a balloon to ascend, and a parachute to descend. The most complicated pieces of kit he used, by far, were the cameras used to relay the pictures back to earth.
2. The dubious danger of the suit ripping
We'll admit, we were initially sucked in by fabulous stories of what would happen if things went wrong with Baumgartner's suit. "His blood will vaporise instantly if the suit rips!" we repeated to each other. But it didn't. Of course it didn't, and it never would have. Hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent designing, testing, building in triple-engineered safeguards and re-checking things time and again to make sure that it would not rip. This wasn't Graeme Obree making an Olympics-winning bike in his garage, it was the finest high-tech engineering from across the world brought together.
Consider this: the previous holder of the skydive height record, Captain Joe Kittinger of the US Air Force, jumped from 108,000 feet (compared to Baumgartner's 128,000 feet) in 1960 in a suit that was literally held together with duct tape. Now THAT suit could have ripped; Baumgartner's, not so much.
3. The pretend danger of breaking the sound barrier
Ever since Chuck Yeager broke the technical and psychological barrier of surpassing the speed of sound over 60 years ago, there has been little mystery about doing so - indeed, even commercial airline passengers used to do so regularly on Concorde. The very words "sonic boom" suggest some sort of explosion to be endured at the magical speed; but that does not happen. An object travelling faster than sound is merely one going very fast indeed - the boom is just an effective doubling of the vehicle's normal sound level when the sound waves lap into each other. It's noisy, sure, but it ain't dangerous.
4. The strange idea that a spin would have been fatal
"It was like hell," Baumgartner said of the spin which began shortly after his jump. "I thought for a few seconds I'd lost consciousness." Leaving aside the inherent contradiction in that statement, let's have a look at what would have happened if the worst had happened and the flat spin had continued. Again, Kittinger's antics over half a century ago show the way: during his first edge-of-the-atmosphere jump he leapt from 76,400 feet, went into a spin, fell unconscious... and was saved by an automatic-opening mechanism fitted to his parachute. You can be pretty sure that if they had one of those in 1959 they had one last Sunday.
5. The suspicious amount of free advertising Red Bull have gotten out of it
When you see a story like Baumgartner's jump all round the world, all at once, it means one thing: a colossal public relations effort behind the scenes. Millions of dollars were poured into the skydive in an effort to make it seem at once hare-brained and colossally dangerous - the former being a complete fallacy and the latter massively exaggerated.
The pay-off, however, is genuinely incalculable. Buying out the front page of almost every newspaper and website in the world, getting into the opening credits of every TV and online news programme, and generating thousands of pages of subsequent follow-up stories, Tweets and conversations around the watercooler is PR that money simply could not buy.
It's genuinely impossible to put a price on such coverage; but if the $30 million guesstimate of the overall project costs is accurate, Red Bull have gotten themselves the greatest bargain in the history of advertising.
And WoS has just realised that it is adding to that with these very words - so it will leave it there...
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
(10-17-2012, 12:47 AM)Parkster Wrote: 3. The pretend danger of breaking the sound barrier
Ever since Chuck Yeager broke the technical and psychological barrier of surpassing the speed of sound over 60 years ago, there has been little mystery about doing so
- indeed, even commercial airline passengers used to do so regularly on Concorde. The very words "sonic boom" suggest some sort of explosion to be endured at the magical speed; but that does not happen. An object travelling faster than sound is merely one going very fast indeed - the boom is just an effective doubling of the vehicle's normal sound level when the sound waves lap into each other. It's noisy, sure, but it ain't dangerous.
4. The strange idea that a spin would have been fatal"It was like hell," Baumgartner said of the spin which began shortly after his jump. "I thought for a few seconds I'd lost consciousness." Leaving aside the inherent contradiction in that statement, let's have a look at what would have happened if the worst had happened and the flat spin had continued. Again, Kittinger's antics over half a century ago show the way: during his first edge-of-the-atmosphere jump he leapt from 76,400 feet, went into a spin, fell unconscious... and was saved by an automatic-opening mechanism fitted to his parachute. You can be pretty sure that if they had one of those in 1959 they had one last Sunday.
I don't see this bitter author traveling up in a balloon operated capsule with only 1 way down...
First of all, just to point out some inaccuracies (that are obvious to me) in his statements... Breaking the sound barrier is no joke. Early attempts resulted in several of the earlier aircraft breaking apart and suffering form some severe turbulence that resulted in loss of control or the craft breaking up. They needed to redesign and reconsider "streamlined". and the human body is NOT streamlined. Also, (and I don't know what this has to do with anything), the sonic boom is NOT a doubling of the sound waves. This is laughable. The "increase" in the sound waves will change the pitch, not the volume (Doppler affect).The sonic boom is the shock wave created by any body moving through a medium. It just so happens that this wave mimics sound as the wave is traveling faster than the speed of sound. That is a sonic boom. A silent object traveling at the speed of sound will make a sonic boom (2 times zero is still..... zero). It is NOT a doubling of existing sound it is a compression wave. But what does that have to do with anything???
And lastly... I have no doubt that an uncontrolled spin has more danger associated with it than simply passing out (although this is no joke) and not deploying his parachute. I have seen videos of sky divers spinning and when the chute was deployed it became close to worthless as the lines became tangled. And I am sure that whatever physics that could cause a man to pass out by spinning, if persistent can result in brain damage or even death.
And how does he know there was no mission control??? And again, who cares? What does the presence or lack or mission control have to do with this incredible feat?
Again, I don't see this courageous author, braving the wrath of people smarter than he, is jumping out of a capsule propelled by hot air and relying on only a parachute to bring him back safe and alive.

And what about those brave legos????? I noticed he didn't comment on the brave legos? Because they had no suit? Wink
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer