Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Cigar Foundry Review
[Image: IMAG0212.jpg]

As many cigar aficionados know, the annual IPCPR trade show just recently took place. This is a show for manufacturers of cigars and cigar related products to reveal new products to retailers. General Cigar has a few new releases this year, including a new cigar callled “Foundry”. Here is a press release from General Cigar about Foundry:

General Cigar is proud to introduce FOUNDRY, a new boutique collection created to amplify the artistry and romanticism of premium cigars.

FOUNDRY is a stark juxtaposition between the old and the new. This visually-arresting collection was inspired by the art form of “steampunk,” which is both a retrospective and futuristic interpretation of innovation.

FOUNDRY is the brainchild of Michael Giannini who led the team that created the breakthrough brand. “Innovation comes from many sources,” he notes. “It is a pleasure and an honor to be able to call upon our greatest resources: the collective talent of cigar masters, our expertise in tobacco cultivation, processing and blending and the creativity of our artisan cigar rollers and box makers to bring FOUNDRY to fruition.”

Through a groundbreaking approach previously unseen in the premium cigar category, FOUNDRY entices the premium cigar connoisseur to take a bold step back in time and a quantum leap into the future to envision the artistry of handmade cigars through the lens of unbridled innovation.

Visual considerations aside, FOUNDRY’s avant-garde approach extends to its masterfully balanced synthesis of flavors. Featuring an indulgent collection of five proprietary tobaccos from four different countries, each aged between three and six years, Foundry’s foundation is amplified through an eight year old wrapper developed by General Cigar. Called H-47 Pleno Sol, the lustrous wrapper imparts a deeply complex, layered smoking experience like no other.

The four-cigar collection is accessibly-priced, and will make its mark on tobacco retail starting in late-October. Foundry features these new cigars: Wells (6”x 50, SRP per cigar is $7.95); Lovelace (6 ¼ ” x 54, SRP per cigar is $8.45); Talbot (5” x 60, SRP per cigar is $8.95) and Cayley (6 ½” x 60 x 56 x 43, SRP per cigar is $9.45). Each frontmark is presented with a unique box design and features both a traditional paper band and a steampunk-inspired metal gear band.

The folks at General Cigar have graciously provided me with a few samples of Foundry to review, so I decided there was no time like the present! On to the review we go!

Pre- Light: As I took a look at this cigar, the most notable feature was the gear ring that was on the band of the cigar. I ran the cigar across my nose, and got some hints of spice, and a heavy amount of citrus. The cigar felt firmly packed, and there were no noticeable defects with it. I clipped the end with my Xikar cutter, and lit up with my Xikar Inpress lighter.
[Image: IMAG0213.jpg]

1/3: As I started on this cigar, the first few puffs produced a nice volume of smoke. The flavors are predominantly a cinnamon type spice, with some citrus on the retrohale. The draw was superb, and the smoke volume was impressive. I did have a bit of an issue with the burn on the first 3rd that required a couple of touch ups. The touch ups were not to difficult to correct. I don’t know if the burn issue was due to the construction of the cigar, or the fact that it was a little breezy outside when I was smoking. So far, this is a very enjoyable smoke.

[Image: IMAG0214.jpg]

2/3: As I continued on this cigar, I got a significant amount of the citrus flavor, with any spice flavors fading into the background. The smoke volume is still great, and the burn is correcting itself. The ash is pretty solid, falling off every 3/4 of an inch or so. Through the entirety of this portion, I got a mostly citrus flavor, and not much changed, but it was a pretty decent flavor, so I didn’t mind. I’m still very much enjoying this cigar. It’s not overly complex, but the flavors are still enjoyable.

[Image: IMAG0215.jpg]

3/3: As I finished this cigar, the flavors were still very straightforward citrus, without a whole lot of changes or complexity. I really am enjoying the flavors, so changing or complexity is not needed, and I can see this cigar as one that will stay in my rotation.

Overall Impression: Overall, I enjoyed the smoke volume, draw, and citrus flavor that was dominant in this cigar. I have a few more of these, and I can’t wait to smoke them and see how they are. Seeing as how they are not yet released to the general public, I say that once these are released everyone ought to try at least one or two. I want to thank General Cigar for sending me a few of these to review.

This was copied from my blog listed below...
Buy From Eric at www.tbs-cigars.com
Bearded Dad Blog:
http://beardeddad.wordpress.com

Sounds like a good stick. I'm looking forward to trying one.

Thanks for the excellent review.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
It was a solid stick, and that was pretty much 1 day off the truck. I am letting the remainder that I have rest, and I will be re visiting this stick in a few weeks.
Scott
Bearded Dad Blog:

May have to give this a go. Thanks for the review.
"I do not save cigars for occasions that may not happen. Cigars make the occasion special, not the other way around."

Ryan
This is one I am excited about....nice review Scott.
Gangsta
Nice... We have been waiting to try those. Can't wait for our store to get them in
I wonder what the gears will be used for. They said hold on to them as they will be used for something.
i wonder how much those stupid gears will add to the price of the cigar
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
I'm with ya on that skip. The gear imho is pointless...
Bearded Dad Blog:

I bet they do a redemption deal-y-o, where you can send them in for special releases or something. Cool idea, I guess... like cigarette pack "bucks" or scan codes.