Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquitoes suck....
State reports four more West Nile deaths

Updated: Aug 10, 2012 6:43 PM CDT

The state's Department of Health and Hospitals say four more people have died from West Nile virus infections, raising the 2012 death toll to six. DHH also says the number of people with the most serious form of the virus has risen to 37 -- the highest number in six years.

Protect Yourself

•If you will be outside, you should wear a mosquito repellent containing DEET. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that repellents should contain no more than 30% DEET when used on children. Insect repellents also are not recommended for children younger than 2 months. CDC recommends that you always follow the recommendations appearing on the product label when using repellent.
•People should be especially vigilant if they are outside at dusk. The mosquitoes that carry West Nile are most active at that time.
•Apply repellent on exposed skin and clothing. Do not apply under your clothes or on broken skin.
•To apply repellent to your face, spray on your hands and then rub on your face.
•Adults should always apply repellent to children.
•Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants when outdoors for long periods of time.
•Avoid perfumes and colognes when outdoors for extended periods of time.
•Make sure that your house has tight-fitting windows and doors, and that all screens are free of holes.
Reduce the mosquito population by eliminating standing water around your home, which is where mosquitoes breed:

•Dispose of tin cans, ceramic pots and other unnecessary containers that have accumulated on your property. Turn over wheelbarrows, plastic wading pools or buckets that could collect water.
•Drill holes in the bottom of outdoor recycling containers. Drainage holes that are located on the container sides collect enough water for mosquitoes to breed.
•Clean clogged roof gutters yearly. They are often overlooked, but can produce millions of mosquitoes each season.
•Aerate ornamental pools or stock them with fish. Water gardens can become major mosquito producers if they are allowed to stagnate.
•Clean and chlorinate swimming pools that are not being used. A swimming pool that is left untended by a family that goes on vacation for a month can produce enough mosquitoes to result in neighborhood-wide complaints. Be aware that mosquitoes may even breed in the water that collects on swimming pool covers.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

We have had a few reports of West Nile and EEE
--Mike
Ever since I had the fire at my house, the mosquitos have been CRAZY BAD! Freaking everywhere. I just spray on the Deep Woods Off stuff I keep in the camper. Works well enough for me.
I not only have confirmed west Nile in my area (dead birds) but we had a terrible scare recently... but it turned out ok.
As for the mosquitoes, I have had ZERO in my house. When I had the other 2 living with me it was a nightly hunt to track and kill the buggers (someone had no clue about closing doors)...
My yard has pretty much been normal... just a few here and there. But I always maintain a steady regiment or spraying around my house for bugs and weeds. I figure worst case my property will be eligible for gov funds as a toxic waste site.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer