Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk to me about Cubans.
I didn't knock any opinions. Just tried to clarify my own. If you don't see the difference there I don't think I can help you.
I also didn't ask for opinions - the OP did.
I suggest you scroll up and re-read.

For someone who didn't come to argue you're pretty sarcastic (and mistaken on the above).

But if you want the last word - fine.
It won't make you right - but fine.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

> > Cigar Rights - Help Exempt Premium Cigars From FDA Regulation!

Yes, I was wrong. I thought you had been the OP. But you're tone wasn't exactly friendly.
OK, I'm starting to get tired of this.

You guys have anything else to say (other than the thread topic) then take it offline.

Let's get back to the thread.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Here is a good article on the recent quality of sticks from Cuba. Start looking for those '12 stamps.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatur...yg.twitter
As the op let me give my current opinion. I have had several cubans since I posted the original thread. What it comes down to is the flavor. They are different, but so are puros from different parts of the world. It has been a year since my original post and I have experienced a lot in that year. I do enjoy cubans but no more than I enjoy other cigars. If I can get them at a reasonable price I will, but I am not going out of my way to find them.
(05-29-2013, 02:04 PM)tarheel7734 Wrote: As the op let me give my current opinion. I have had several cubans since I posted the original thread. What it comes down to is the flavor. They are different, but so are puros from different parts of the world. It has been a year since my original post and I have experienced a lot in that year. I do enjoy cubans but no more than I enjoy other cigars. If I can get them at a reasonable price I will, but I am not going out of my way to find them.

I concur
(05-29-2013, 10:11 AM)parkerplus Wrote: Here is a good article on the recent quality of sticks from Cuba. Start looking for those '12 stamps.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatur...yg.twitter

Nice link
(05-29-2013, 05:51 AM)NickDrista Wrote: I disagree with the statement "it's hard to beat a Cuban in bang for the buck". Give me a $6 Olivia V any day over a $15-$30 cuban.....

I see what you mean, but at the same time a Cuban for $15-30 is pretty rare (excluding EL and ER releases). Most robustos are in the $6-7 dollar range, and it pretty much only moves over the $10 mark for larger format cigars - Churchills, DCs, etc.

(This is keeping Cohiba out of the figures, as the robustos are at current exchange rates about $14, and the Espléndidos are at about $20)

I think this all boils down to the individual palate. People will argue one way or the other because it is their opinion. There is no objective way to measure which is better imho.

Now on to the CA Article... For me, there have indeed been some peak years - I have some 2005-7 boxes that have been unreal, as well as some recent production. I also had the good fortune to pick up some 98-99 stock a while back that has been fantastic.

As for QC, I have had equally good luck with Habanos and non-Cubans. In fact, I have had more issues with construction and plugging with non-Cubans in the past several years. A lot of people have had the opposite experience too.

(05-29-2013, 05:12 PM)MaytagMan Wrote:
(05-29-2013, 05:51 AM)NickDrista Wrote: I disagree with the statement "it's hard to beat a Cuban in bang for the buck". Give me a $6 Olivia V any day over a $15-$30 cuban.....

Now on to the CA Article... For me, there have indeed been some peak years - I have some 2005-7 boxes that have been unreal, as well as some recent production. I also had the good fortune to pick up some 98-99 stock a while back that has been fantastic.

Amen brother - take me back to 2006. Some of the stuff that year hasn't been matched since. The ELs and regionals were great too that year as I recall. Too young to have had much of the 98-99 production, but I did have a few aged Sanchos from that time that were nice.