Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overheating
Any advice on how to avoid overheating? I'm being very anal about timing my puffs, but I still tend to end up with the last half to third tasting like hot wet paper bag. I think it's my draw, perhaps too deep or too long. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to draw just enough to keep it lit.

Thanks!
Pete
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that's a tough one. Never really had that problem.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Thats probably due to buildup of tar and crap. Have you tried blowing out of the cigar for a few seconds, you even can even use your torch and you will see quite a huge flame. I think you will see a change in flavor. Here is a great video from Doc

http://youtu.be/AZdAS_97DxU
No Justice, No Peace!
Blowing out through the cigar every few puffs is a great idea. I started doing it about a year ago and have had fewer burn/flavor related issues.
--Mike
(05-09-2012, 08:38 AM)wtfdic Wrote: Blowing out through the cigar every few puffs is a great idea. I started doing it about a year ago and have had fewer burn/flavor related issues.

+1
Give it a try, it really does work.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
also, smoke the cigar dryer. It's too wet.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Great tip on the purge, I'll try that next time.

By "too wet", do you mean %RH, or too much slobber? I've been maintaining ~70%, but have been thinking about going down to 65 since I'm in Florida and I smoke outside most of the time.

Pete
(05-09-2012, 08:45 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: also, smoke the cigar dryer. It's too wet.

+1

You shouldn't have to work so hard and time your puffs, etc.

Check your storage conditions and make sure you are not over-humdified.

Try taking a couple of puffs every 1 min then after about 3 mins then blow through the cigar GENTLY 3 x's then go back to puffing, this might help your overheating.
Gangsta
i mean your humidity is too high

65 is much better than 70. And given that your gauge may be off, you may be at 74 or higher.
What temp do you maintain?

And yes, every cigar needs a good blow-job for sure. I've been doing this for over 30 years. That blow-purge works wonders for maintaining an even light and getting rid of some of the ammonia that can build up. Also, the air you blow into a cigar is heated by you and cannot be more than 98.6 degrees. Air coming through a draw is many times hotter than this.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer