Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Kicks Robusto
Four Kicks Robusto
Click HERE to link to episode page and LISTEN!

Size: 5 x 50
Wrapper: Ecuador Habano
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

About:
Founded in January, 2011 by Jon Huber and Mike Conder, the Crowned Heads Cigar Company focuses on cigars of excellent artisanal quality. This commitment was proven when they chose to work with cigar legend Ernesto Perez-Carrillo on their first release. Called “Four Kicks”, the cigar is produced in Tabacalera La Alianza in the Dominican Republic. In addition to the Robusto I am reviewing, the Four kicks line is also available in a 5-5/8 x 46 Corona Gorda, a 6 x 54 Sublime, and a 6-1/8 x 52 Torpedo.

Here is a quote from Jon Huber about Four kicks from the Crowned Heads website:

“Four Kicks is a brand that was born as a rebellious child, evolved into an angry adolescent, and finally matured into an adult whose personality centered around excellence, confidence, and determination. In a way, the final blend we selected smokes in this same manner. It opens big, bold, and in your face. It then takes you on a ride of complexity, richness, and finesse. It finishes bright and clean and leaves its fingerprints on your palate to remind you that it was there.”

Episode Sponsor:
Help the show out and do all of your holiday shopping by using the Cigar Snapshot Amazon link. You don’t pay a penny more, and you can help the show out immensely!

Just click on the link and start shopping! http://www.cigarsnapshot.com/amazon

THE REVIEW:

Pre-light:
The cigar is covered with a deep-brown wrapper with a few subtle spots of slightly darker mottling, especially near the foot. The wrapper had a matte appearance overall, with just a couple of shiny oily spots near the head of the cigar. The construction of this cigar was flawless… it was very firmly packed, with no hard or soft spots at all. There were no visible defects on the cigar at all.

AROMA: The prelight aroma was distinctly meaty and leathery, with some very pleasant cedary undertones.

TASTE: The prelight taste was straightforward and distinct, with some very forward flavors of dried fruit, green wood, and barnyard.

1/3:
The cigar started right off with a smooth leathery undertone. It was very smooth and the flavor enveloped my palate entirely. There was also a medium peppery character that was in the back of my palate near the top, and in the retrohale. It was very nice in that the pepper was not an out-of balance blast of pepper; rather, it was in perfect balance with the leathery characteristics. The finish was medium in length, and I got a small hint of toasted nuts. The ash was light gray and white, and was very firm.

2/3:
As the cigar moved into the second third, the leathery and pepper flavors intensified. The nice thing was that this intensification occurred while maintaining the same balance with each other that the cigar started with at the beginning. The finish still had the nutty character, and there was the addition of what I can best describe as a robust meaty component.

3/3:
As the cigar progressed through the final third, the flavors continued to intensify and focus. The leathery flavors started to exhibit some tannins, and the pepper flavors continued to remain in balance. The meaty character in the finish became more pronounced, and the finish was additionally extended by a subtle earthiness. The construction continued to be spot on through the entire smoke, and I was able to smoke this cigar right to the end without it ever becoming harsh, bitter, or too hot.

Overall:
Well, I can definitely say that the Crowned Heads man-in-charge John Huber made the right choice by working with Ernesto Perez-Carrillo on his first release. The leathery and peppery characters in the cigar were an excellent combination, and what really sets this cigar apart is that these flavors started off balanced, and remained so even as the flavors intensified as the cigar progressed. This cigar is definitely worth a try in my opinion.

Recaps from previous episodes:
- Feedback and questions from Cigar John in WI
- Feedback from Jimmie the Mum in NJ

New this episode:
Keep the FDA away from our cigars!
- My brief rant on the FDA Regulation of Premium Cigars
- Check out http://www.cigarrights.org

Give us your feedback!
www.cigarsnapshot.comfeedback@cigarsnapshot.com
www.facebook.com/cigarsnapshot

Twitter:
@cigarsnapshot – show updates only
@maytagman1 – Bill’s personal account

VOICEMAIL FEEDBACK LINE: 209-432-3535

Great review i have 1 i have to try
I believe Mr. EvilAsh was passing some out during the recent CI herf. Im excited to try it, especially after this review.
(12-10-2011, 10:35 PM)davidwys Wrote: I believe Mr. EvilAsh was passing some out during the recent CI herf. Im excited to try it, especially after this review.

I've had the Torps, Robustos, and Sublimes so far...

My order of preference is:
Robusto
Torp
Sublime

I have Corona Gordas that I still need to smoke through to see where they go in the pecking order...

Sounds like an addition to the humi, Bill. TFTR.

Sent using Tapatalk
TL,
Tim
Man, I have to try one of those! lol. What's the best site to order them from? Anyone have a preference?
Git R Dun!
(12-11-2011, 02:58 AM)MaytagMan Wrote:
(12-10-2011, 10:35 PM)davidwys Wrote: I believe Mr. EvilAsh was passing some out during the recent CI herf. Im excited to try it, especially after this review.

I've had the Torps, Robustos, and Sublimes so far...

My order of preference is:
Robusto
Torp
Sublime

I have Corona Gordas that I still need to smoke through to see where they go in the pecking order...

Ill be having one tonight on the way home from the parents house. Ill be sure to report.

Yes sir, I was handing out the corona gorda size at the CI herf Wink

Great review Bill!!
This is my boomstick!
(12-12-2011, 03:11 PM)EvilAsh Wrote: Yes sir, I was handing out the corona gorda size at the CI herf Wink

Great review Bill!!

I smoked it down to a nub the other night. Very consistent as Maytab mentioned. I am not as good with specific flavors but I could agree with leather and pepper throughout.

[Image: 2011-12-11_20-04-48_261.jpg]

In the beginning it was difficult to pull. About 3/4" in, all was well again. I also had left it in my car which got kind of cold and that may have tightened everything up.

The only downfall; it left a slightly acidic flavor on my lips. Maybe this cigar was a bit young and there was some fermentation acids left on the wrapper. It was not a deal breaker at all though.

Maybe Evil was trying to poison me...

Either way, it was a very nice, smooth, pleasant smoke and thank you Evil for hitting me with it at the CI herf. I hope to get some more soon.

Dave
No problem Dave!

And no, I was NOT trying to poison you, haha!
Glad you enjoyed it!
This is my boomstick!