Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry sticks, need a fix
Hi,

I've had my humidor for about a month now. After I calibrated my hygrometer, it read only 60%. I figured that it had calibrated incorrectly, so I cured my box, until the reading inside matched what my meter read, about 60%. I put in my sticks and was happy as a clam. But they have been getting dryer and dryer. I need to raise the level about 5-10%. I have a jar of blue humidor gel. How do I use it? Do I let it sit open in the box WITH the cigars. Or do I pour some of it into the humidifyer itself?

Thanks all
What kind of gel is it that you have?  The ones I have seen you just leave in the humidor.  I use beads, along with a lot of the people on here.  They work great, just wet them down with distilled water and you are good to go for some time. 

Did you season your humidor before you put it in use?  Also, if you dont already have on, get a quality digital hygrometer.  I believe the Xikar ones have a lifetime warranty.

Good luck

I like smoking lightning
I seasoned the inside 2 or 3 times. I have a digital hygrometer in the mail on the way here. Things can take for ever and a day to get here. So I'm looking for a quick fix.

The jar I have is HUMI-CARE Crystal Gel. I got it, in the mail, and it was already wet. I would have thought that they would send the crystals dry. Guess not. It looks like I can just stick that in my box as is. Is that right?
So you have the small jar that has holes in the lid right?  If that is what you have you just put the whole thing in the humi.  There is probably a line on the jar that will tell you when to add more water.  Depending on the size of your humidor and how good the seal is, that should keep you good for a while.
I like smoking lightning
Excellent advice Carl [bravo2]