Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so i get this email today
The real action on the legislation is currently in the House. It's HR1639 and it has more than 100 cosponsors. You can go here http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas to access all the information: the wording of the bill, which includes a definition; a listing of the cosponsors; etc. If your representative hasn't signed on yet -- and the list of cosponsors runs the gamut from far left to far right -- you should get in touch with him or her. I would also suggest you write your own e-mail or letter. Those offices get so many form letters, e-mails and Astroturf petitions that they tend to have little or no impact.
Anyone with political mojo on here care to give an opinion on how this is likely to go?
(11-03-2011, 04:57 PM)Clarinetist Wrote: Anyone with political mojo on here care to give an opinion on how this is likely to go?

Well, there's no guarantee. But getting over 100 cosponsors is always seen as a really positive sign. The bipartisan nature of the support is also very encouraging. You've got people from Joe Wilson to Charlie Rangel signed on. It's actually a great time to ratchet up the pressure and get more cosponsors.
(11-01-2011, 09:31 PM)Clarinetist Wrote: I received the same when I did it.

Not un-common to setup a program that will reply with a prewritten message when a prewritten message is received. Their system will still keep track of how many of that letter they receive. Hey, they put no more or less effort into their reply than I did when sent my pre-written letter, I'm not offended. If they weren't filtered, their mailboxes would be flooded with the same letter. They don't need to read every one of them, just know how many of the same they've gotten.

Go the extra mile, as I did, and give a Senators office a phone call or setup an appointment for a sit down if possible, that has a great impact! Remember to be courteous and professional - but don't forget to be passionate as well!

Thanks for being active to everyone who has responded and sent a letter, every little bit helps!

Maybe a phone call is in order. I have emailed our state officials, but talking to someone is always more effective.

Thanks for the good suggestion.