Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need some help with my new (to me) kegerator
hey guys. my dad gave me his old kegerator. this was actually one of the very first things my parents bought together, along with their bed, when they got married over 30 years ago. I don't know a whole lot about these, it has a co2 tank, a regulator, the tap, everything I believe. I want to keep it as original as possible. I am replacing the lines, as they need it. It hasn't been used in a long time. I also think it needs some compressor work. I plugged it in over the weekend, and it only got down to about 60. I plan on giving it a good cleaning in the next few days to see if that helps the compressor. if not, who do you call to repair these? appliance repair? refrigeration? also, about the regulator, I took a couple pictures of it. Not sure if it used to be a dual gauge or what. It has two leads coming off of it, but only one is used. Does anyone know? Will this thing actually work? Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I would guess that any refrigeration or appliance repair shop could fix it. Check out this site as it will have everything that you will need for replacing or upgrading stuff.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer...cid-2.html

Good Luck!!!!
If it's a compressor, it's no big deal, under $100. It may have just leaked down from it's age. It as 2 gages, on the co2 pressure in the tank and the other is for the pressure in to the keg. Great score

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

http://www.kegworks.com/ This is where i get all my draft stuff. Micromatic has great information as well.
No Justice, No Peace!
I know. Know Mark has one. Shoot him a message.
--Mike
about the hoses, my dad had some really long hoses in there. when i replace the hoses, should i make them the same length or shorten them up a bit? one was about 9 foot, the other about 7.
(08-30-2011, 08:38 AM)scott81425 Wrote: about the hoses, my dad had some really long hoses in there. when i replace the hoses, should i make them the same length or shorten them up a bit? one was about 9 foot, the other about 7.

I know micromatic has, or had, great info on keg line balancing. If not, google it. Some may tell you that line length is not important, but they got lucky in their setup. Keg/co2 pressure, line(beer, not gas) length, and type of faucet all play integral roles in determining your serving consistancy.

Too long/ short and you will have nothing but foam.
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
I've changed out thousands in my restaurant years and had one in my kitchen for years. It's just been to long and the brain cells didn't make it. I don't think the o2 line matters but just keep it as short as you can. The line to the keg just needs to reach the keg to change it, keep it short. I would call your local distributor and ask there help. It's what they do and might hook you up if you buy there beer. Just go in a talk the talk.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

thanks guys for the pointers. Like I said this is the first or second thing my folks ever got together, so it means a lot to me. Plugged it in today. Cooled down to about 45, then started heating back up. Compressor was sizzling to the touch. Not sure whats wrong with it, guess I need a pro. On a side note, I did find a local supply for the line.
(08-30-2011, 07:34 PM)scott81425 Wrote: thanks guys for the pointers. Like I said this is the first or second thing my folks ever got together, so it means a lot to me. Plugged it in today. Cooled down to about 45, then started heating back up. Compressor was sizzling to the touch. Not sure whats wrong with it, guess I need a pro. On a side note, I did find a local supply for the line.

Make sure the condenser is nice and clean. If it isnt that could cause the comp to be smoking hot. Another cause is it could be low on gas. If there isnt enough refrigerant the compressor wont be cooled by the cold gas coming back from the evaporator and it will overheat.

Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"