Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I lost 3 TVs
I would make sure your cable is grounded or bonded to prevent it from happening again man. Totally shitty! Which beach you at?
[Image: perry.png]
That really sucks. I lost a computer monitor last week on a system because the power went out. It was the only system I didn't have on a surge system because it was rather old. Of course I still use the system and had to go out and get a new monitor. Found a cheap square one 18" for $99. Then next to it was the 23" wide 1080i for $130. Seemed stupid to buy the outdated cheap-o at that point.

That is really odd for all three TV's to have the same issue. Do they turn on at all? I would assume all 4 of your TV's are on the same cable wire and wonder how your main one survived a hit like that. Surge would protect on the power side, but not the cable line unless its one of those special ones that will do telephone and/or cable lines too (most don't). It had to be a power line issue and not the cable. My guess would be that because they are older TV sets they may not have been able to handle the surge as well as your main TV on the surge did. Many older sets have fuses in the power supply or on the main tv board. Most surges through the cable line cause damage to the receiver/tuner but the TV still turns on. When cable TV or SAT lines are professionally installed they also connect them to the copper piping in the house for a ground. It had to be a power line up/down spike.

Nice time to upgrade to flat panels! Wink
Eric, the TVs don't turn on at all. Nothing.
The surge protector I have is top of the line with a bunch of bells and whistles on it.

I have to check the name of it but there are a bunch of lights on it etc.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
If you were using a surge protector... Most have insurance polices (that automatically cover you just for using the surge protector) for between $5k-$250k... Which would cover the replacement of the hardware....

And people always wonder why I always recommend using a surge protector. Smile
he was using a SP on the set that didn't fry. the others were plugged into the wall and the cable plugged into the sets directly (no cable box (cheap bastid))

Old TV's were poorly designed too.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer