Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with possible humidor idea
Ok everyone Im hooked! I want to get into this more and more. But I was cleaning out my garage and found an old metal milk box. I was going to toss it till i sat down to take a break and smoked another olivia serie v, when i thought that I could try to turn it into a humidor. I think I would know how to give it a good seal with some rubber from our craft store, but the biggest problems I face is trying to get the smell of "tin" out of the box. Is there any way possible to get that smell out so I dont mess up the cigars down the road if I am able to get this to work.

Also, If this is possible, I will need to know where to get some spanish cedar. I have looked all over the place, but i only found it at a couple of online stores in which they sell it in bundles. I only need a couple of sheets to line the entire box. its aprox. a 12" high, 10" wide, and about 6" deep.

I can post some pics if you think it will give a better idea of what im working with.  A good mental picture would be the little metal box that you see the milk man putting the glass bottles in for june cleaver!  Just looking to turn some old Junk into aiding my new habit/hobby!
yah mang.

Post a picture. 

I think that you'd pretty much have to seal all of the exposed tin inside up with cedar though.  [thumbsup]
WE LIKE PICS!!!!!! [bravo2][bravo][lol]

[rob]
You can find spanish cedar on Ebay.  I just bought 16 peices that are 4"x16" and 1/8" thick.

Cool idea, cant wait to see some pictures.
I like smoking lightning
those old milk boxes are worth a few bucks to collectors. An era long gone. I remember having to run out on the colder mornings to get the milk otherwise it would freeze and all the cream would float to the top.

Anyway, those boxes were insulated and should be a great start. They are smallish and sport an inconvenient lid for this purpose, but what a conversation piece! You can use old cigar boxes as a source for your Spanish cedar. If you chose to buy some be careful not to buy regular cedar lest your cigars end up smelling like socks in a cedar drawer.

The entire process should be as easy as lining it with the cedar and putting in some sort of passive humidification and a gauge.