Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much are you willing to pay for...
(04-15-2011, 12:14 PM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: first, the cigars are not 50+ y/o. The tobacco was discovered during a warehouse purchase. The bails were labeled with the date and country of origin.
Second, isn't having a certificate certifying that 100% of the tobacco in that cigar is in fact 100% pre-embargo (& therefore legal) Cuban tobacco better than not having it?
But, if your point is, why would a cigar rolled before the embargo even have such a certificate, then I refer you to point #1.
These cigars were rolled shortly before I bought them around 18 years ago. the tobacco is pre-embargo. Discovered in Miami.
I think LZ6 said it was the best cigar he ever had in his life.
Now that's a weighty statement!

Ok, so the cigars are not 50+ years old, just the tobacco used in creating them. Which is fine, so long as it was properly stored, and so on...I'm not disrespecting you, your cigars, or when they were rolled. It is just hard to conceptualize several points.
1- You state that there is a certificate of authenticity. Who issued that certificate? Is there a paper trail you can track back to the actual acquisition of the aforementioned bales? Is whomever that signed the certificate someone of national notoriety, or acclaim?
2- You said that LZ6 said it was the best cigar he ever had in his life, and how that is a weighty statement. But I do not know who LZ6 is. I see by a quick search that this person is an old timer here on the forums, from back in 2006, and hasnt been online in over a year. And while I concede that he is probably a great guy, that still lends no credence to me, based on the fact that I haven't read any discussions from him in a context to something I have a grasp on.
If you say, "I smoked this 'xyz' cigar, and it was 'yada yada yada' and all wonderful and etc", I can draw a conclusion from conversations you have been part of either with me or that I have lurked over reading.
Now if you say "My best friends, uncles second cousin's, first wife's, hairdressers daughter's, babys daddy's brother's gardner, Alejandro smoked this 'xyz' cigar, and it he said it was 'yada yada yada' and all wonderful and etc", means very little to me, as I have no connection with that person.
3- I'm not the most experienced cigar smoker out there. I feel I have sampled a lot, but admit that I havent tried everything. While I think the taste of the ones I have had are ok, nothing there could justify me to think that even pre-embargo tobacco, would make them worth the kind of money we're tossing around figures for.
I dont have the disposable income to be able to even dream stuff like that. Even if I did, the taste isnt that knock-my-socks off. So with those two things in mind, I can afford to question 'certificates of authenticity', and vocalize my incredulity at someone who would pay that kind of money for a single cigar.
There isnt any 'right' or 'wrong', it is just talk.
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
well, I had 2 boxes. Bought them around 18 years ago. Paid almost $700 per box.
I've shared many of them with people here. Ashman, Jimmie, Fishhound, just to name a few. They can give you their impression.
My impression? well, I bought a second box after depleting half of the first one.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer