Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Split Like a Paper Towel Tube...
Sad 
I just finished a Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary. I have a totally bipolar review, so here we go:

I obsessively molest every cigar before I smoke it. It's part of my "ritual" if you will. And the first thing I noticed about this otherwise wonderful looking stick was the odd wrapper split right in the middle. When I really looked at it I noticed it was because of a strange "unraveling" of the filler. The only way to describe it is it was like a paper towel tube splitting. It was really wide too, and wrapped at least 3/4 around the stick. This cigar is box pressed, so I'm thinking that this particular stick was not rolled tight enough, and the press mashed apart the already spread filler.

That said, now the good part...

At first this cigar was very peppery, just at the limit of my personal preference. Eventually, after the 1st 3rd, the smoke mellowed out quite a bit and took on a sweeter quality. It really changed character, and I found that pretty interesting. It drew very well, but that's hard to quantify because it could be due to the long channel running inside the filler. Whatever, though, because yet again RP proved it's one of my favorite brands. I always get an interesting, tasty smoke with a RP (DISCLAIMER: No, I don't work for RP!)

Then the fit hit the shan...

The cigar only smoked evenly for the 1st 1/2 inch or so. I'm assuming this was due to the defect. The split of the wrapper totally popped up to reveal the filler as the ember drew closer, and the whole thing began burning completely uneven well before it even got there. The flavor remained throughout this whole mess, but the cigar basically fell apart in my hands.

Overall I really like this creamy smoke and can't wait to pick up another one. I've never had a quality issue with any RP before, so I'm thinking this is just an aberration, and I'm certainly not going to hold it against them. I really think this was an issue of Box Pressed Gone Wrong...
I remember that I had one of these at a Rocky Patel event a few months back. I am pretty sure I enjoyed it.
--Mike
maybe you just got unlucky - try another, perhaps it'll stay together better.