Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pumping some fresh blood into my dinosaur
heres my situation..i currently have a 10 year old tower, its a emachines T3085, i have a choice of spending $500 on this gateway

6GB Memory / 1TB Hard Drive

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+De...Id=1243009

or would i get more for my money if i just upgraded my tower by getting a new power supply, memory, etc, etc?

i was sared while opening up this thread. had a feeimg it was going in a different direction lol.

what are the specs on your current setup?
what do you use it for?
--Mike
i use it just for daily surfing..but does take a long time when i turn it on..some sites to take forever to load that have alot of content on them..i wont be using ti for gaming im not one of those hard core gamers..once in awhile i may play one of those 5-10 minute addicting flash games but im not what you call a world of warcraft or whatever seems to be the online hard on these days..here are the specs

# 2.17 GHz Athlon XP 3000+ processor
# 512 MB installed memory
# 160 GB hard drive

Well since its one of those old eMachines, you have a fairly small case to work with and an older power supply... Anyway, I just took ~2 minutes to check and I would say that to upgrade your system to something similar to that system you linked to, your probably looking at spending an easy $500++ as it is (Assuming you dont have to also replace something like the power supply or hard drive, which you may have to).

For your use, your probably better off buying a new off the shelf machine. Unless your doing something special like serious video editing, computer aided drafting, database work, gaming, etc... then an off the shelf machine is normally the best bang for your buck. Also, if your willing to wait... You'll probably see some sweet deals on towers from ~Mid-April to ~Late-August...

I remember, this last May I think it was... My local Bestbuy had a really nice machine that included a printer, keyboard, mouse, and 17" LCD for less than $350. Fairly common...
(12-26-2010, 08:56 PM)Teck1337 Wrote: Well since its one of those old eMachines, you have a fairly small case to work with and an older power supply... Anyway, I just took ~2 minutes to check and I would say that to upgrade your system to something similar to that system you linked to, your probably looking at spending an easy $500++ as it is (Assuming you dont have to also replace something like the power supply or hard drive, which you may have to).

For your use, your probably better off buying a new off the shelf machine. Unless your doing something special like serious video editing, computer aided drafting, database work, gaming, etc... then an off the shelf machine is normally the best bang for your buck. Also, if your willing to wait... You'll probably see some sweet deals on towers from ~Mid-April to ~Late-August...

I remember, this last May I think it was... My local Bestbuy had a really nice machine that included a printer, keyboard, mouse, and 17" LCD for less than $350. Fairly common...

yeah i dont do any of those things..just for your average daily internet surfing..once in awhile upload some pics, download some music, i can wait a few more months..ive had this old phucker for over 5-6 years now whats a few more months..lol the power supple on mine emachines that im using now is upgraded as well as the fan..it died on me 2 years ago..the power supple that is..and i had a guy at a shop install a new one with a fan..he did it for me really cheap since i was a first time customer..only charged me $125 for parts and installation and labor..also took care of a few virus's i had from music..that was before my nod32 days..but i think this tower has gotten me far as it can..im setting up a small entertainment center in my garage for when i smoke..a tv and blu ray player..i think i will use this old tower in the garage and set up a pc there as well..

Sounds like a plan... Plus you got more than 2yrs out of the machine, so its all good.
That's a plan.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore