Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if all the world were a cigar bar?
I'm putting together some one liners for a blog article I'm writing: What if all the world were a cigar bar? It never ceases to amaze me how cigar enthusiasts treat each other.

Complete strangers send each other gifts worth a great deal, just for the satisfaction of seeing them enjoy it!

Arguments and debates at B&Ms are almost always incredibly respectful of the other person's opinion.

No one is looked down upon for what they smoke, whether it costs $1 or $100, because "it's all about personal preference".

Camaraderie, brotherhood, respect, and mutual support is extended to anyone that walks into the store.

People of all races, professions, and walks of life - from doctors and lawyers to construction workers and field hands - all sit together and talk as equals.

I'm curious, what do you think the world would be like if everyone acted like they were in a cigar B&M? I'll cite your comments in the blog article.
I will be the first person to stand up and admit that I have not been smoking cigars for a long time. During the time that I have and upon meeting the people I have, both in person and out here on this forum, I have been utterly astounded by the acts of generosity and kindness that I have witnessed and even been part of.

If everyone were like the people on here and most of the ones I have met in person, then I believe that the world would be a much better place. The kindness and camaraderie would have people helping each other, not just in having a fine cigar or great conversation, but in every day aspects of life. Stopping to help change a tire, carrying the proverbial little old lady's groceries for her, giving someone a warm bed to sleep in if their home is damaged by some catastrophe. Or any number of other examples.

But while I am new to cigars and the atmosphere surrounding them, I have studied people for a long time. I believe that at first things would be very nice and many more people would relax and find the goodness in their hearts again. But soon the nature of people would shift to what we have now. Apathy, distrust, antagonism and more. There are those that I have seen with my own eyes, that would make others feel belittled for smoking a less expensive cigar, or wearing clothing not specifically tailored by a top notch clothier.
I would continue to hope that those people would become the minority. It is just not what I believe would actually happen. Lines would still be drawn and segregation would continue. Some would seek to profit at the expense of others less fortunate and others, would seek to control the recreation of those that find the happiness and relaxation of this sociocultural experience, that the few of us that know about it, enjoy.

In closing I would like to state that it would be wonderful if more people were like those here, that I call brothers (and sisters). And I think that if there wasn't such stigma covering anything involving "smoking", we would even find them and welcome them into our 'family.
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
Unfortunately, ass holes are everywhere. While most of the people I have met because of cigars have been great, every rule has an exception. I dont mean to be negative. There are people here on SC that I have never met in person, but still consider them great friends. You are always going to have the guy who thinks he is better than everybody, just like DomnioMaestro said. The guy who looks down on people, laughs at someones cigar choice, just a plain old snob.
I like smoking lightning
I think it may be well to remember that 60 or 70 years ago all the world was a cigar bar. Many if not most men smoked cigars, yet we as humans didn't get along especially well then either. Nearly anytime you have a relatively small group of enthusiasts of something as largely uncontentious as smoking cigars they are going to mostly get along and be brotherly.

If you visit antiquated sword arts exponents in Japan they get along famously, as those that study pre-Meiji Restoration martial arts are a pretty small group. In the past with greater numbers they would be hacking each other apart. Similarly, if there were numerous cigar smokers we would in essence be like cigarette smokers and feel no particular connection. It is our small number and pursuit of a pleasurable, relaxing pasttime that accounts for our solidarity.

As Carl said, there are exceptions; some are simply a-holes, like me. Big Grin
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

(10-21-2010, 04:07 AM)carl609 Wrote: Unfortunately, ass holes are everywhere. While most of the people I have met because of cigars have been great, every rule has an exception. I dont mean to be negative. There are people here on SC that I have never met in person, but still consider them great friends. You are always going to have the guy who thinks he is better than everybody, just like DomnioMaestro said. The guy who looks down on people, laughs at someones cigar choice, just a plain old snob.

I don't know Carl those assholes at Lit were just that assholes. Although the other guy was really cool and got bombed accordingly.Big Grin