Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can tuna a piano but can you tuna fish!
I had the privilege to tuna fish last Saturday.  This was a charity fishing tournament to support our local food bank so the majority of the fish were donated to people that really needed some food.  There were 78 teams that participated in the Oregon Tuna Classic (OTC) which has gained national attention.  We all took off at 6am with a shotgun start and what a sight that was to see.  We all motored out beyond the Columbia river bar (the most dangerous in the world) and met just outside in the ocean.  Every where you looked all that could be seen was green and red lights, looked like a Christmas parade.  At 6am a flare was shot and everyone shot to their sacred tuna grounds.

We ended up 55 miles out to find the blue water where the tuna were.  The boat was a 2601 Stryper with twin 150 four stroke Yamaha's.  Very nice boat.  Here are some various shots:

The boat

[Image: tuna08_093.jpg]

You have to troll fast for tuna (approx 7mph)

[Image: tuna08_091.jpg]

Battling a tuna....whoo hooo!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: tuna08_095.jpg]

Tuna in the boat, this one was caught on a cedar plug

[Image: tuna08_092.jpg]

Back at the dock with one of the tuna

[Image: tuna_08094.jpg]

The event was a huge success, there was over 6000lbs of tuna donated from all the teams and the real winners will be the people that need the food, a real honor to be a part of this great event.  After the fishing tournament all the fishermen met (over 500 people) for a banquet with awesome food, drink and stories.  There were tons of raffle prizes given out and the top three teams were given their trophies and money ($3k for first place).  It was a memorable event for a great cause and will continue to support it each year!

We spent the night and went salmon fishing the next day, found these two which have now discovered my smoker [thumbsup]

[Image: tuna0809.jpg]

Ok, now you guys have seen pictures of me fishing (catching) salmon, tuna, sturgeon, halibut and steelhead, it's great to live in the Pacific Northwest!

Nice! Looks like a great time.
But how do they fit that huge fish in that tiny can?  [wow]

That looks like a great time Keith.  You make me have the urge to head into the garage and start re-lining a few reels.  I havent fished since April, aside from throwing a line in for an hour a few weeks ago.  That is how busy my summer has been.

Thats it, I am moving to Portland.  I will pay you in cigars for some salt water fishing lessons.[lol]
I like smoking lightning
There is an open invite to anyone that is interested in doing some serious catching! 

Have many great friends that can take us out and have a fantastic time so if you are interested in experiencing the great northwest just hit me up [thumbsup]

Hey Steve, are you going to make it out?
Amazing!   I want to take you up on that someday!!!   [thumbsup]

Okay Keith I am sold!  I am coming out!  Hell with Bobgun you have the fishing contacts. 

Great pictures and thanks for sharing.  I love to see stuff like this!
Those are some nice Albies.

Guys in my area have been catching multiple big eye tuna on every trip. My heart raced a little when I helped 1 guy offload 500 pounds of fish... in 2 fish.