Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how long into a cigar do you make your decision?
after lighting the cigar, how long do you wait to decide if this is a cigar you will buy in boxes, just keep a few singles, or want nothing to do with? orrrr how many sticks does it take for you to make a fair decision?

I usually give anything a half inch try. If it's bad in that first half inch I toss it.

For real evaluation I smoke it completely and assess it as "buy a single again." "Buy singleS" or "buy box". I'm saying I try not to judge after only one smoke. I'm in college and buying a box is a big deal, it's had to find ones I can afford to even buy in large amounts let alone actually want to.
In my case, until I smoke the whole thing and then at least try it one or two more times. Today is an exception. I just wrote a small review on a Punch Rare Corojo Champion that blew me away so much that I want to add it to my collection.
Tony
When you have walked in my shoes, done what I've done, seen what I've seen, then maybe you can criticize.
I guess if it was real shitty i'd pitch it half way. But for the most part I'll buy a five pack, and after the second stick i'll have a good idea if i'll like em or not. I don't think you can judge a stick after smoking one. Sometimes a mood, pairing, or just something you had just eaten can change your opinion on it.
No Justice, No Peace!
If I'm going to consider buying a box, I'll usually try a couple before deciding that I really love a cigar. Sometimes there's duds, and sometimes there's flukes. It's always a good idea to sample more than just one.

But usually I can tell if I'll enjoy a cigar from the first couple puffs.
if its complete dog crap i toss it quick but other than that i like to try at least a few sticks. I have only had 1 stick that i did not smoke the entire thing because it was pure crap. it was something from Drew Estates. One from the natural line i think.
--Mike
If I get ahold of a cigar that I enjoyed, I will generally wait a while, and try it again. Maybe two or three more. If they are consistantly good, I start looking into boxes/bundles.

If I dislike a cigar, I will smoke it through, to make sure it isnt just a bad spot. Then I will get another a couple days later and try it again. If it is bad....well, I dont get any more. Smile
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
(10-02-2010, 09:33 PM)Tatsumi67 Wrote: I usually give anything a half inch try. If it's bad in that first half inch I toss it.

For real evaluation I smoke it completely and assess it as "buy a single again." "Buy singleS" or "buy box". I'm saying I try not to judge after only one smoke. I'm in college and buying a box is a big deal, it's had to find ones I can afford to even buy in large amounts let alone actually want to.

You gotta give almost every cigar more than a half inch before tossing. Most cigars dont open up and change until atleast the first inch or two, usually two. Smoking a half inch, then tossing is just a waste.

Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
I smoke the whole of one cigar. If it's good I may try a 5 pack after that to make sure it's not a fluke. If the cigar is really good I will forego the 5 pack and just get a whole box. Flukes are flukes, but if a stick is really exceptional others of the brand are unlikely to be dog-rockets.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

I need to try a few... if a cigar is bad enough that I have to pitch it, I make sure and revisit the cigar in case I got a bum stick or something. I have had cases where I tried a cigar that had a horrible ammonia bit and was bitter as hell. A few months later I revisited and it was a great cigar...

At the same time, if I try a cigar that is stellar, I will want to try a few more to make sure that was a typical example of the cigar before dropping the coin on a box.