Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidor build question
Got in a couple of sheets of Spanish cedar Veneer. Smelled like a huge cigar box when I opened it. Gonna start converting one of my wet bar cabinets into a humidor. will post pics.
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.
-Jimmy Buffett
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Cant wait to see some pics. Where did you get your cedar?
I like smoking lightning
Ordered it from Rockler.com 2 sheets 26.49 each. 24"x48". about as thick as 15 sheets of copy paper. plenty flexible but not flimsy. the odor has got my cave smelling good. I will laminate it to particle board with contact cement. couple weeks of drying should get rid of the solvents in the cement.
-Jimmy Buffett
very nice brother! I am actually on my way to Rockler today to pick up some cedar for my wine fridge conversion. I was going to go with the 1/4 inch sheets verses the veneer.
--Mike
I would not use contact cement if I had a choice. It does not hold up well in a humid environment. What is your substrate material?
(10-23-2010, 03:56 AM)jollymon16 Wrote: Ordered it from Rockler.com 2 sheets 26.49 each. 24"x48". about as thick as 15 sheets of copy paper. plenty flexible but not flimsy. the odor has got my cave smelling good. I will laminate it to particle board with contact cement. couple weeks of drying should get rid of the solvents in the cement.

Thanks. Rockler is a great place. We have a retail store in Seattle. I picked up a 3/4" x 8" x 7' board there to make shelves for my wine fridge. Turned out pretty good for my first attempt at wood working.

I might have to get some of the veneer to line the walls with. Seems cheap enough.
I like smoking lightning
10 mil veneer seems plenty thick to line walls with. easy to work with too.
-Jimmy Buffett
(10-23-2010, 10:29 PM)jollymon16 Wrote: 10 mil veneer seems plenty thick to line walls with. easy to work with too.

you are probably right but i ended up going with 1/8th" planks for my sides and 1/4" for my shelves.
--Mike
The veneer definately wouldnt work for the shelves. I am going to order some 1/4" spanish cedar for shelves too. I completely forgot about the shelves. Shelves (sorry, ocd. have to have even # of the word shelves. (damn it) shelves. (there, now its even.)Smile
-Jimmy Buffett