Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how much value do you put into the opinions of the pros?
i was wondering how much value and trust you have in the opinions of magazines like Cigar Aficionado and cigar insider, and if any of you subscribe to there magazines which of the two do you prefer and why?

I like to read reviews but ultimately end up trying the stick for myself and making my own decisions on them. I like to read about different cigars after i smoke them too so i can see what other people thought. But i do not subscribe to any magazines. I do all my reading online. If its on the internet it must be true, right?
--Mike
little. I listen, I learn but take it with a grain of salt. They will not dis a high-paying advertiser.... at least that is my opinion
(08-27-2010, 11:01 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: little. I listen, I learn but take it with a grain of salt. They will not dis a high-paying advertiser.... at least that is my opinion

My thoughts exactly. Domniomaestro and I had a similar discussion last night at a General Cigar Event. I think the so-called "pros" definitely have developed palate, and could easily distinguish a great cigar among good cigars. Of course, it's a business first. Rolleyes
None. I don't subscribe.
(08-27-2010, 11:01 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: They will not dis a high-paying advertiser.... at least that is my opinion
Exactly.....
This is my boomstick!
I think that it is all up to you whether a cigar is good or not. Peoples tastes are very different. I just use reviews as a suggestion of cigars to try. I could really care less what a cigar scored from Cigar Afficianado, if I like it thats what matters.
I like smoking lightning
thanx for ur opinions, i was n the fence about subscribing

Zero!!!! I used to buy all of the cigar magazines, now i only buy one if I am going on a long flight. Too much advertising dollars like Skipper said. I do like the way Smoke magazine does their reviews....although I have not read their magazine in quite some time so that could now be different. Trial and error.
Never read cigars magazines. I've always experimented and tried them for myself. I've also gotten some good recommendations from like minded friends (like Soulend).
Now I also have this forum as a resource.
Tony
When you have walked in my shoes, done what I've done, seen what I've seen, then maybe you can criticize.