Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credo life
Folks, how long should a small round credo (commonly found in 25 - 50 capacity humis) last? Do they work indefinately, provided they have distilled water, or does the PG/florist foam/beads/ etc. break down over time?

Any rough estimates on how often these should be replaced?
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

they should be replaced with beads or an active system immediately. or one of those puck humidifiers. anything. those things are junk. they break down, grow mold, get nasty over time. ditch it and get something better.
I dunno, I've had three of them working for a couple years now and they haven't grown mold or anything.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

I find they are fine for around 2 or 3 years barring any extraordinary outbreak or issue.
(06-17-2010, 08:01 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: I find they are fine for around 2 or 3 years barring any extraordinary outbreak or issue.

Thanx, Skipper!
- Robert E. Howard

I take them apart and fill with Beads last alot longer
Some of them, like those at CI, apparently already use beads - at least according to their ad copy. Now if they'd only get rid of that stupid smiley face on them...

How do you get them apart, do you have to saw them in half along the seam? This sounds like a good idea. My problem with beads the way they normally come (jars, tubes) is that they take up real estate that could be better inhabited by a cigar. Same thing with an active - we're talking little desktop humidors here. Also, a couple of my humis have a framed space for a credo, I'm not going to just have an empty hole in the lid.

For the cost of a cheap cigar, they are easily replaced. I reckon I can pony up a few bucks every couple years.
- Robert E. Howard

I understand why people like the beads, less work at keeping good numbers, but I never liked it. I used them and almost always regretted it. Especially if you wet them the way the manufacturer says (in a dish with a spray bottle).
Nope, cigars are for relaxing. I do not intend to allow them to complicate my life!
I used standard foam filled pucks. Used distilled water and incorporated some 50/50 in the summer as the humidity dictated.
The puck was garbage when the inside started to show signs of accumulated debris or darkening most likely due to mold.
I have some pucks that costs me around $25 and others around $8. I thought nothing of throwing them out if I couldn't get them open. If I got it open I would sometimes toss the foam, wash the plastic in a 50/50 bleach and water solution, then replace the foam with floral foam and poof, another year or 3.

Now I have my set & forgets
JR has standard credos for 2 or 3 bucks and they work fine for a small humi. I think they use floral foam, but not entirely sure - may be clay. If they cease to work I'll try replenishing with 50/50 distilled water/PG or just toss 'em and get a couple more. I think I've got one that's giving up the ghost after two years - gettin' a little dry in there - but I'll have a new one on order tonight.

I've had cigars that had mold on the actual wrapper - I brushed it off and it smoked and tasted just fine. I've had cigars that sat in a two-finger leather case for a week with no humidification whatsoever - smoked just fine. Hell, people used to smoke them straight from an unhumidified box on a tobacconist's counter. Like you say, Skipper, cigars are for relaxing. I'm not into turning it into a science project.
- Robert E. Howard