Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a Cigar Humidor
As a hotrod dude---I dont do wood, it does not fit my home or my 50s dinner style in home. . I have painted cars and chrome, so that said--I did this---- Its a WWII era or maybe even 50s era chest style coke machine--Gutted, stripped to bare metal and now I am patiently waiting something other than snow in the western sierras for warm temps to paint the letters on it. I easily keep it at 67-70 Humid with 5 things of beads in panty hose by changing out or adding destilled water every 6 weeks or so. I THOUGHT I would need a humi system to do that. Its lined in cigar boxes but the next one will get spanish cedar in bulk. VERY DIFFERENT as I could not afford 5K for what I wanted and this is cheap as I am a body and paint guy as a hobby as the cop gig is my regular job all week. Enjoy the ics and welcome aboard.

Dave
unomass

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-25-2010, 08:58 PM)RUMBLON Wrote: As a hotrod dude---I dont do wood, it does not fit my home or my 50s dinner style in home. . I have painted cars and chrome

I may be getting some of these very soon, made by Manning of Ireland, sold by Ashton. These are the Ashton Humidors, not to be confused at all with the Savoy entry level humidors they also offer. Thought you might like the look, and they are of absolutely utmost quality. Much more expensive desktops out there, but I do not personally think that any well known brands (particularly the ones that cost much more than these) come close in quality, IMHO.

Take a look:

[Image: Ashtonretro-humi.jpg]

[Image: Ashtonhumimetalic-series.jpg]

The Ashton Humidor Story

Ashton Humidors: Accolades From Around The World
[Image: CRA_ambassador_seal-smaller.jpg]
Join CRA Today! Click Above!
[Image: RobbieofCordova-2.gif]
(05-25-2010, 08:58 PM)RUMBLON Wrote: As a hotrod dude---I dont do wood, it does not fit my home or my 50s dinner style in home. . I have painted cars and chrome, so that said--I did this---- Its a WWII era or maybe even 50s era chest style coke machine--Gutted, stripped to bare metal and now I am patiently waiting something other than snow in the western sierras for warm temps to paint the letters on it. I easily keep it at 67-70 Humid with 5 things of beads in panty hose by changing out or adding destilled water every 6 weeks or so. I THOUGHT I would need a humi system to do that. Its lined in cigar boxes but the next one will get spanish cedar in bulk. VERY DIFFERENT as I could not afford 5K for what I wanted and this is cheap as I am a body and paint guy as a hobby as the cop gig is my regular job all week. Enjoy the ics and welcome aboard.

Dave
unomass

awesome Job How is holding and sealing ..............
(05-26-2010, 02:20 AM)Robbie Wrote: [Image: Ashtonretro-humi.jpg]
I think you get a free one of these with a $200 purchase of Este Lauder cosmetics at Macys
LMAO
This is my boomstick!
(05-26-2010, 05:22 AM)jam Wrote:
(05-25-2010, 08:58 PM)RUMBLON Wrote: As a hotrod dude---I dont do wood, it does not fit my home or my 50s dinner style in home. . I have painted cars and chrome, so that said--I did this---- Its a WWII era or maybe even 50s era chest style coke machine--Gutted, stripped to bare metal and now I am patiently waiting something other than snow in the western sierras for warm temps to paint the letters on it. I easily keep it at 67-70 Humid with 5 things of beads in panty hose by changing out or adding destilled water every 6 weeks or so. I THOUGHT I would need a humi system to do that. Its lined in cigar boxes but the next one will get spanish cedar in bulk. VERY DIFFERENT as I could not afford 5K for what I wanted and this is cheap as I am a body and paint guy as a hobby as the cop gig is my regular job all week. Enjoy the ics and welcome aboard.

Dave
unomass

awesome Job How is holding and sealing ..............

Jam, I thought when I built it I was going to have to purchase a humidification system. I didnt. I used beads, maybe 3/4 of a pound placed in pantyhose in 5 or 6 small bundles. It keeps it perfect for me, in the 67-69 range in my area, which is almost no humidity in the Sierras of Nevada near Tahoe. So far I add distilled water every 5-6 weeks, which is a 2 minute job. I am very hapy with the outcome.

I like it so much I am now working on a hotrod travel humidor for car shows, camping ect. Coke mini cooler.
Oh and I sealed the top with a very simple soft brown plastic door gasket. Approx 25 bucks in gasket total. One on the top and one on the bottom, doubled up in width. Very easy and not bad looking either.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)