Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports Cards
(04-20-2010, 05:02 PM)MK 199 Wrote: I was doing some spring cleaning recently and came across my old sports card collection from the early 90's and my dad's from the 70's. Found some cool stuff while upgrading the storage from the old shoe boxes his were in! Just curious if anyone else was a card collector?

Way cool! The last year that I really collected cards I was buying a lot of packs at the grocery store to complete my collection. I ended up with 8 Ricky Henderson rookie cards I still have to this day.

I sold my Don Mattingly rookie cards (4 of them) for $90 a pop about 12 years ago to finance a new gun.
(04-21-2010, 12:36 PM)US_Tank Wrote: I sold my Don Mattingly rookie cards (4 of them) for $90 a pop about 12 years ago to finance a new gun.

Sweet!!! Cool
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(04-21-2010, 10:39 AM)MaytagMan Wrote: My Barry Bonds rookie cards have done well for me.... Big Grin

a year or 2 back i bought a lot on ebay that had a couple mark mcgwire and barry bonds rookie cards in it. cool to have. not worth a whole heck of a lot. i have a michael jordan rookie, a jerry rice rookie, a few brett favre's, barry sanders, emmitt smith, derick thomas, ken griffey jr, and quite a few others. i once traded a swiss army knife with a friend of mine's dad when i was a kid for a hank aaron card from his second year. that's about the only old one i have, and i have a couple jonny u's i picked up at a card show once upon a time. i bought one because it was cut wrong and i thought that would make it more valuable lol. haven't collected in ages, but i used to LOVE it.
The most memorable card collecting thing for me was in 1989 when Jeff George was the #1 draft pick. His rookie card wasnt worth a whole lot, about $12. I bought a box of Pro Set packs, and started opening them. There was one of his rookie cards in the first pack, and I kept opening. The second pack didnt have one. All the rest had one in it, and the last pack had two. I cant remember how many, maybe 20, maybe more. I was soooo excited. I took them to a card show, and found a guy that really wanted them. I traded almost all of them with him, he gave me $10 in trade for each one. That was a lot of money to a kid back then. I got some really good cards out of the deal. Ricky Henderson and Mark McGuire rookie cards to name a few. I am not sure what any of the stuff I got is worth now, but it was a good trade. As we know, he turned out to be a real lame duck QB, and now I doubt those cards are worth the price it cost to print them. That is one of my favorite card collecting memories.

Pretty shrewd business deal for a 12 year old.
I like smoking lightning
I think I have found most the more valuable cards after sorting through the cards from the 70's. I think im going to see what I can get out of some of them but either way it was cool looking at sports history and I have some cool new St. Louis Cardinals stuff to display now!
Interesting you brought this up. I found my sons cards in the attic a while back and thought how intensive the research would be to check the price on every card. It just boggles my mind. I would have to guess there would be some $$ in them from the early 80s and a few rare cards but how would you cross check them all. I got into signed Ken Griffey Jr stuff when Dominic played ball and have quite a bit and don't know what to do with it. Sighed all star baseballs from each year, bats, helmets and so on. $$$ in the closet.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.