Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'01 Montecristo #2 (cubano)
my first experience with a well aged cuban, courtesy of lz...
i actually didn't know how old this particular stick was, and didn't think of that aspect as i lit into this perfectly constructed stick. the pre-light did set off an alarm, since it didn't smell like the #2's i have sitting in my coolerdor, which are barely a year old. a much more delicate nose, with some sweet spice. an inch into it, i realized this must be one of those cigars all the hype is about. any tangy aggressiveness, common to almost all young cubanos, was absent. it was replaced by very precise and delicate spice and earth, with a flowery and smooth smoke. for the first time, those descriptors like "refreshing" and "tea" i've seen in reviews of vintage cigars made perfect sense. not literally, of course, but the terms serve to convey impressions where words simply come up short. to make sure i hadn't simply gone insane, i pm-ed lz who confirmed my suspicion that this was indeed a mature cigar. this one stick has convinced me of the validity of aging cuban cigars. all that effort and time and super-human patience is, imho, worth it in spades. i've been purchasing and stowing cubanos on blind faith up until now. so now i can rest easy on first hand experience, and am absolutely thrilled to see how my stash comes around in the years to come. if you're a vintage virgin like i was, trust me, it is worth the effort. and btw, if it weren't for this great board and people like lz, god knows i might never have had this opportunity. three cheers for s.c.!
Nice review BB!! Cool
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Nice review BB, And Uncle Bob does it again (great botl).
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Nice review and good pick-up on the nuance of this cigar. Glad you liked it. Leading innocents down the dark side is great fun for me!
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
lz6 Wrote:Leading innocents down the dark side is great fun for me!
You can say that again.  Your the reason I don't live in a 5000sq mansion with in indoor pool right now. Tongue
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Good review Bungalo.
Mark Wrote:
You can say that again.  Your the reason I don't live in a 5000sq mansion with in indoor pool right now. Tongue
I only led you there.................I didn't make you stay on the dark side.  Smile
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Lz led Nightshade to the Dark side...... Now he has to keep her suppliedBig Grin
lz6 Wrote:
Mark Wrote:
I only led you there.................I didn't make you stay on the dark side.  Smile
Once you go Dark, you can go back.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
kind words, boys, thankee. still trying to recover from that insane experience. maybe a pam '64 will help.Big Grin

(the schwartz is strong in this thread)