Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Absinthe
No, it doesnt make you see things. 
But it does get you really drunk. Tongue
The one I had was from the Czeck Republic.  Very Piney tasting.  lol

The few glasses of port wine I had after it didnt help to sober me up either.

well then what aboout all the famous nut-jobs who drank it regularly, like Edgar Allen Poe, Van Gogh, and Oscar Wilde? isn't the main ingredient, wormwood, an herbal mind- altering drug? i could be wrong about this, of course it's just my opinion.
Its not a main ingredient.  If you read up on it you discover it is mostly the combination of herbs used to make absinthe that make you feel funny, more then the wormwood ingredient.  And it is usually 60-80% alcohol.
Thujone, the ingrediant in wormwood oil thats similar to THC, is in such small amounts it doesnt really matter.  Plus its toxic. 

Here is a very good FAQ I found.
http://www.feeverte.net/faq.html
Smile
so can you get it in the US? 

Ryan did you drinkn it in the fashion I have seen it done in movies, w/ what looks like a sugar cube suspended above it and then light the absinthe on fire?  That always just looked like a cool drink to me. 
Absinthe reached its peak of popularity and notoriety around the end of the nineteenth century and is now illegal not only in the United States but in Switzerland, the place of its origin. Absinthe is actually a green-hued cordial with aniseed (licorice) flavor. The ingredient that caused all the fuss was wormwood (actually deleterious only when taken in immense doses). Pernod, Abisante, Abson, Anisette, Ojen, and Oxygene are its modern, safe, respectable substitutes.
www.drinkrecipesbar.com/drinks-glossary.html

Reputed to be an aphrodisiac, absinthe is a potent, bitter liqueur distilled from wormwood and flavored with a variety of herbs. It has a distinct anise flavor and is 68 percent alcohol (136 proof). Absinthe is usually diluted with water, which changes the color of the liqueur from green to milky white. Because it`s considered habit forming and hazardous to health, absinthe is prohibited in many countries and was banned in the United States in the early 1900s.
www.mychefcoat.com/terms-a.html
Djaric Wrote:No, it doesnt make you see things. 
But it does get you really drunk. Tongue
The one I had was from the Czeck Republic.  Very Piney tasting.  lol

The few glasses of port wine I had after it didnt help to sober me up either.
 Did you drink it properly with the sugar and water?
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
It was banned in the US in 1912 because it was seen as habbit forming, when really it was alcoholics who had the problem. Tongue  (more or less from what Ive read)

Yea we mixed it with water and sugar.  Think I had the equivilent of 2-2oz shots. 
Tongue
It was banned in other places for health risks
Flyerman Wrote:well then what aboout all the famous nut-jobs who drank it regularly, like Edgar Allen Poe, Van Gogh, and Oscar Wilde? isn't the main ingredient, wormwood, an herbal mind- altering drug? i could be wrong about this, of course it's just my opinion.
Those people were all just nuts to begin with wormwood was the least of their worries lol.
Flyerman Wrote:well then what aboout all the famous nut-jobs who drank it regularly, like Edgar Allen Poe, Van Gogh, and Oscar Wilde? isn't the main ingredient, wormwood, an herbal mind- altering drug? i could be wrong about this, of course it's just my opinion.
Absinthe makes regular appearances in just about every Hemingway novel, too.