Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humi beads
I ordered a tube of Humi beads from Heartsfelt industries a few weeks ago.  The 1ounce 65% beads.  They have been working pretty well, although seem to be a bit low, averaging around 60%.
Anyway, Ive noticed lately that the beads seem to be falling apart, and thus falling though the tube. 
Is this normal? 
I just dont want a bunch of beads pieces in the bottom of my humi.
Same here.  My beads are 65% and have trouble keeping much about 60% and they too break apart.

I think the breaking apart has to do with how they are "charged"  Apparently when they are rapidly charged they can burst.  Spritzing them with a spray bottle is supposed to prevent this from happening.

Regardless, i find that the broken ones fall through and collect at bottom of my humidor.  I'm working on a few remedies (stockings, small dish, etc.)
Djaric Wrote:I ordered a tube of Humi beads from Heartsfelt industries a few weeks ago.  The 1ounce 65% beads.  They have been working pretty well, although seem to be a bit low, averaging around 60%.
Anyway, Ive noticed lately that the beads seem to be falling apart, and thus falling though the tube. 
Is this normal? 
I just dont want a bunch of beads pieces in the bottom of my humi.
Just put the tube in some nylons or stocks and they will be fine.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Yeah, they will break.  I think the new style tubes are supposed to help contain the bits, though.

I just ordered a pound and divvied it up between two open RP "A" coffins . . . they fit really nicely, leave plenty of room, and are easy to spritz when they need recharged.

NANP

[cigar]

NANP™
Viking1
Not A Nice Person Wrote:Yeah, they will break.  I think the new style tubes are supposed to help contain the bits, though.

I just ordered a pound and divvied it up between two open RP "A" coffins . . . they fit really nicely, leave plenty of room, and are easy to spritz when they need recharged.

NANP

[cigar]

I have mine in a tupaware and yes in the last month I have noticed them breaking apart, I might need to add water to them.  It's been well over six months since they have seen any water.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
I dipped my 65% filled tube and even though it wasnt reccommended,it went well and no crackles of broken beads.
I now spray with distilled water in spray bottle.

The one thing about beads is they dont do the best job of giveing humidity when needed,its great at sucking humidity though.
I keep beads and climaguard sticks or foam with 60-40 mix juice.

Soon the new cigar oasis xl plus should be enough with the beads as soon as I build a  decent size cabinet.
Yea, its probably the way I recharge it.  Tongue  Just dribbling some distilled water on it.
They keep the humidity alot more consistant though.  I've been having issues with wet sticks before I got the beads so I woudlnt say im unhappy with the low RH level.

Can you have too many beads? My humidors seem to hold a constant 64-65% but my coolers won't go above 60% unless I keep extra water in them. I am thinking of putting in more beads so I don't have water sitting there waiting to be spilled.
Yes, try more beads.  My beads look half white and half clear to regulate the humidity.
Mine seem to dry out faster in the coolers, it may have something to do with all the wood/cigars in there, but the humidors seem to just keep going. I will order another pound or two today. We'll see.