Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Boxing/Wetting
Has anyone here done either one of these. I read about this on another board. Up to a week before smoking move your cigars to a humidor with little or no humidity. Or store your cigars at humikity levels in the 57 - 62% range and then dip them into filtered water before/while smoking them?

I'm not sure for the reasoning behind storing them drier if you have to moisten them while you smoke but these guys swear it creates the perfect cigar.

Anybody ever heard of this?
Never heard of that. I have heard of "Dry Boxing" which is where you store the cigar at a lower level of humidity to get a better draw out of an other wise plugged cigar due to being too wet.
Never heard of it to that extent.......especially the dipping part. When getting ready for an OpusX I will drybox it for a couple of hours before I fire it up, but thats it for me.

Sounds like we need a volunteer, but not me. :?
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Hmmmm, possibly another myth I can bust. Big Grin
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
I read a large thread about this and a few others similar on VCC,one of which someone did a test of a hotboxed gar and one directly out of 65% humidity ranged humi.
The hotboxed one burned more even,stronger ash and the flavors were more pronounced.

I do this and actually always have but not for a week,well,sometimes I do.
I usually take a bunch of cigars out for the next few days and put them in a humi with no humidity device,its already been seasoned and holds low at 55-60%.It does burn better and I dont get tunnleing issues or hot cigars either.

The part about running your wet fingers over the gar to cover it completely or a quick dip is for those in dry desert like climates where it's extremely hot and dry.This prevents the gar from burning hot and burning to fast.It works.The only thing that sucks are gars that are fresh or have hardened wrappers from ageing or thick/strong wrappers.

Someone from new mexico or arizona with everyday experiance with this method will be better able to explain.
Mark Wrote:Hmmmm, possibly another myth I can bust. Big Grin
Do it Do it Big Grin
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Might explain the horrible burns I have had with mine lately.  They canoe about a half inch, I rotate, it fixes, then starts again.  Maybe I need to set them out for an hour before puffing on em??
ScrooLoose Wrote:Might explain the horrible burns I have had with mine lately.  They canoe about a half inch, I rotate, it fixes, then starts again.  Maybe I need to set them out for an hour before puffing on em??
Most oily cigars burn much better at a lower RH.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
CP you've seen the post I'm referring to on VCC. One of the guys there says he does this regularly with his ISOM's, so I was wondering if that had something to do with the oils in the wrapper or something else. But it did sound interesting.
Yeah.
Keeping aged sticks at whatever desired rh% you like is good,some do low rh some do 70%.If you like to age at a higher rh but like to smoke or the gar smokes better at a lower rh,then it only makes sense to keep a desktop humi or another bigger humi with the 3 months worth of smokes in them after they aged to what ya want.

I know that there can be tunnle problems if you switch up the cigars normal enviroment to another different enviroment setting,and usually to correct this it takes about 3 months tops to stop the tunnleing problems.Doesn't happen so much with higher end brands but it is something that should be taken in to consideration when doing this.

Dunno if the oils have anything to do with it.There was an older thread on this too there,like 6 months old,had like three pages of replies.