Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rhode Island says spay it, or pay it
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
Maduro_Scotty Wrote:I hate cats.
Must.....hold.....tongue.............cannot.......say......it......................................Wink
Big Grin
Maduro_Scotty Wrote:I hate cats.
Must.....hold.....tongue.............cannot.......say......it......................................Wink
Seriously-they are finicky, unfriendly to anyone and eveyone else, and are sticklers on the most stupid things in the world(i.e.-playing with yarn, etc.)  Wink  Oh wait....are we.........hehe.Big Grin
I don't think Poriggity likes cats either.Big Grin
I think this is going to be a hard one to enforce. What are they going to do check your home without a warrant. Look for cats in your yard, hey they are strays is all anyone would say.  How are they going to prove you own a cat without coming to your home and checking it.  Are they going to stand enforcement officers at the stores to see who is buying cat food?  True they could check out cat liscenses, but how many actually do that?
A tough law to enforce, especially if a person never brings the cats in but leaves them outside.  They can just not claim ownership.
Actually, I think this is great.  The law doesn't say that you can't have your pets reproduce, just that you have a one time fee, and if you want your kid to experience seeing a cat have kittens, then it's worth it.  you'll pay how much to go to a movie, how much to go to an amusement park, and that experience lasts how long again? 

I live in an area w/ a LOT of stray cats, and it is a problem, and I think the tax issue is that people have to pay to keep all these strays and to kill and dispose of all of them, I don't see a sneeky opportunity to tax people.  If anything, it keeps the finantial responsability of animals to those who have them, instead of making everyone pay for the sahelters and all the expenses that come w/ that.

For a bunch of folks who dislike cats, I'm really surprised at the opposition to limiting thier reproduction.  My wife and I have two cats, mainly outdoor cats, and both have been fixed since they were that age, it also helps w/ the males when you get them that young, because the instinct to spray EVERYDAMNTHING hasn't quite developed at that age, so you are less likely to have to deal w/ that.   

just my .02,
Irishcelt Wrote:I think this is going to be a hard one to enforce. What are they going to do check your home without a warrant. Look for cats in your yard, hey they are strays is all anyone would say.  How are they going to prove you own a cat without coming to your home and checking it.  Are they going to stand enforcement officers at the stores to see who is buying cat food?  True they could check out cat liscenses, but how many actually do that?
A tough law to enforce, especially if a person never brings the cats in but leaves them outside.  They can just not claim ownership.
It's not improbable, though.  I got an eviction notice once simply because a stray cat had taken up around my house, and the property manager came by and snapped a picture of it.  I saw the picture, included with the notice, and the cat was in the middle of the yard almost halfway between both houses.  The neighbors had been feeding it, and it refused to leave.  I took the papers to a lawyer and he called them on it, and they revoked it, but I moved just the same...  That's going way too far IMHO.  So, I could see it happening...
Irishcelt Wrote:I think this is going to be a hard one to enforce. What are they going to do check your home without a warrant. Look for cats in your yard, hey they are strays is all anyone would say.  How are they going to prove you own a cat without coming to your home and checking it.  Are they going to stand enforcement officers at the stores to see who is buying cat food?  True they could check out cat liscenses, but how many actually do that?
It's also probable that they would monitor via the vet records.  The records would show age and how long you've been bringing in the animal to be treated there.
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:Actually, I think this is great.  The law doesn't say that you can't have your pets reproduce, just that you have a one time fee, and if you want your kid to experience seeing a cat have kittens, then it's worth it.  you'll pay how much to go to a movie, how much to go to an amusement park, and that experience lasts how long again? 

I live in an area w/ a LOT of stray cats, and it is a problem, and I think the tax issue is that people have to pay to keep all these strays and to kill and dispose of all of them, I don't see a sneeky opportunity to tax people.  If anything, it keeps the finantial responsability of animals to those who have them, instead of making everyone pay for the sahelters and all the expenses that come w/ that.

For a bunch of folks who dislike cats, I'm really surprised at the opposition to limiting thier reproduction.  My wife and I have two cats, mainly outdoor cats, and both have been fixed since they were that age, it also helps w/ the males when you get them that young, because the instinct to spray EVERYDAMNTHING hasn't quite developed at that age, so you are less likely to have to deal w/ that.   

just my .02,
Just how soon untill they change the words, from pets to people? Confusedhock:
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:Actually, I think this is great.  The law doesn't say that you can't have your pets reproduce, just that you have a one time fee, and if you want your kid to experience seeing a cat have kittens, then it's worth it.  you'll pay how much to go to a movie, how much to go to an amusement park, and that experience lasts how long again? 

just my .02,
Just how soon untill they change the words, from pets to people? Confusedhock:
there are some days I hope sooner than later. 
In our city they still come in to read the water meter. One day she happend to look at our doggies collar - no tag.

We got a letter in the mail a few days later, reminding us that dogs need to be tagged in our city - so we did it, no problem!

Thousands of unwanted cats are destroyed each year because they are unwanted - if a law like this will prevent that I say more power to them!!

Besides a cat in heat is not a happy cat at all!!