Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wine Cooler?
Hey gang,  I'm currently looking into expanding my cigar holding / collecting abilities.

One problem though, the cigar cabinet I would like is $369 but after shipping its $700

shipping stuff to AK is not cheap. 

So i have been thinking of a wine-a-dor.  Costco has a Vinotemp 60D for $439.00

What would it take to convert a wine cooler into a cigar cabinet?

Would I really need to plug it in?  The temp inside my house never really goes above 70-75 winter or summer.  The wine coolers max is 65.

Tips and suggestions would be great.  And I have thought about a cooler instead of a wine cooler, but would rather having something to display boxes in.

Thank you.

If it went to 70 degrees it would be ideal but it sounds like in your environment it would be fine.  If you're storing boxes inside then that should be enough cedar to stabilize it.  Skip said it in another thread about converting a fridge but you have to watch the humidity holding TOO well in a fridge with an airtight seal.  Might want to prop it with a toothpick or something to allow air in and humidity to move with the air.  Coolers are the same way and require very little moisture to maintain humidity.  Beads would be the best way to go.

Now go buy it and post pics.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Nothing wrong with 65 degrees, especially for long term storage. If you are just storing everyday smokes the temps you mentioned will also be good, so yeah you may not have to plug it in. I have a couple of the units but they are fixed to maintain 70 degrees and I run a cigar oasis plus in both. You will need an oasis or some other means of humidification preferably with a fan like the oasis has. 
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
I keep my pc room at 65 degrees constantly all year round and this is were I keep my tupadors,humidors and what not.Seems like when temps are 70degrees the humidity level drops to 62-65% from 68-70% at 65degrees.

I like storeing at cooler temps.

I have a small fridge about 4ft tall I may use,but I use it for storeing soda,beer,coffee,and wine outside in summer days.Plus it has a top section that shares space with fridge area as a freezer.If I can remove the freezer unit and keep the fridge at 65 degrees I'd use it.
Ok, I've looked further into it.  I guess I'm going to skip the wine cooler, after I purchase the Cigar Oasis, beads, & spanish cedar it will cost just the same as the Cabinet that i want that comes with a cigar oasis.