Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pipe help
This is something I've wanted to do for a while, and I think the time is coming soon, as it has managed to come up several times recently. 

Problem is, I know next to nothing about pipes.  there's a cigar shop I go to near where I work, the guy there seems pretty knowledgeable about pipes, and this past weekend at my sister's wedding i had a conversation w/ a gentleman who was enjoying his pipe, and my wife said MANY TIMES that she would love for me to get into smoking a pipe, that it smells better.  Granted it does, and it would be nice to be able to smoke that in the house.   Anyway, i know there have been multiple pipe smokers in here through the days, so I would love to hear about different pipe styles, getting pipes acclimated, tobacco choices, mixes, and so forth.  thanks .
dude, water pipes is where it's at. you want a good volume of water to cool down the smoke...

wait...

oh, never mind.

just get a hold of some fuente anejos, which are pretty much like pipe tobacco in a stick.
Bungalowbill Wrote:dude, water pipes is where it's at. you want a good volume of water to cool down the smoke...

wait...

oh, never mind.

just get a hold of some fuente anejos, which are pretty much like pipe tobacco in a stick.

LMAO, yeah, lots of different pipes in the world......

Of course, a hookah would be an option down the road if the wife and I both enjoyed sitting back to smoke, but I don't see that happening. 
B-dub was into pipes.  I wonder what happend to him?

Lc and I had a chat on the phone about pipes.
Didn't there use to be a seperate pipe forum? Maybe its time for that.

IC, its good to see you back posting!
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
For starters, I'd grab an inexpensive briar pipe (<$35) and a golf tee or nail (for tamping).  I'd also pick up a cheap corn cob pipe for smoking those arromatic blends.

Just as with cigars....when you're starting out try all kinds of tobacco (with an open mind) until you settle in on something you like. 

Your local tobacconist probably has some inexpensive (starter) pipes.  They probably aren't on display shelves as that is prime retail space reserved for the high quality stuff.  Local shop might also have open cannisters of house blended tobacco that you can try.

You'll become frustrated with trying to keep you pipe lit. Don't fret.  With practice and patience, you'll get the hang of it.  Even the most experienced pipe smokers find that they have to relight their pipes every once in a while.

P.S.  Not all pipe tobacco smells great.  Your wife is probably familiar only with the arromatic blends (vanilla, cherry, rum, etc.)
[user=75]LC stogiechat homebrew gnome[/user] wrote:
Quote:
Bungalowbill Wrote:dude, water pipes is where it's at. you want a good volume of water to cool down the smoke...

wait...

oh, never mind.

LMAO, yeah, lots of different pipes in the world......

Of course, a hookah would be an option down the road if the wife and I both enjoyed sitting back to smoke, but I don't see that happening. 

Hookahs are HUGE now. There are atleast 3 hookah bars that I know of within 1/4 mile of my campus. They arent too expensive if you know where to look. We picked our first up used for 55. Since, I have had a very ornate brand new one for 135 and a not so ornate but very functional new one at 65. They are a good social smoke and the bowls can last for hours if you pack them right. The experimentation is also fun with different things other than water in the base. For example, apple tobacco with apple juice is great, or a banana with milk is also good. It is a neat toy and some of the fancier looking ones are deffinately a conversation piece in the home too!

-Ben

wait...

oh, never mind.

Don't you mean ICE t cool that water down Wink
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.