Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigars Arriving Hot
I've got a concern.  I've become fond of ordering online, which has not really had any significant problems until now.  I ordered a few days ago from a reputable online company, and they came in HOT - not a bit warm, but maybe 85-90 degrees.   I do live in Phoenix, but because these shipments bounce all over the US, it would be foolish to think that it hasn't happened to most people ordering online.  Any thoughts on possible problems I may encounter with these, or how I should treat them when I get them like this?
[welcome]   [rob]
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Well, welcome Talkradio to Stogiechat.  I live in the California central valley and I just don't order cigars during the hottest months. I stock up in the fall, winter and early spring. As to how to "treat" them, stick 'em in the humi just like you would any other order, and let them come up to speed.  
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Thank you!  If I can ever kick my obsession with constantly buying cigars, I may have to adopt your no buying during the summer idea.  Appreciate the advice!
EVERY CIGAR SHIPS HOT!

(sorry for yelling)

Think about it...

1. Growing... Less than 100 miles from the equator... around 90 degrees... That's pretty hot.
  2. fermentation... done around 140 degrees. That's pretty hot.
  3. Rolling... in the high 80's... That's pretty hot.
  4. boxing... in the high 80's... That's pretty hot.
  5. Storing... in the high 80's... That's pretty hot.
  6. Shipping off the island... in the high 80's... That's pretty hot.
  7. Airports, trucks, weekends, warehouses
We have no control and usually no knowledge of what happened to the cigars before we got them.

Then we get all concerned cause one day the wife moved the humidor close to the radiator and it got hot...

Trust me, cigars are very durable. Only if you are interested in serious storage/aging do you need to be more careful.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:EVERY CIGAR SHIPS HOT!

(sorry for yelling)

Think about it...
  1. Growing... Less than 100 miles from the equator... around 90 degrees... That's pretty hot.
  2. fermentation... done around 140 degrees. That's pretty hot.
  3. Rolling... in the high 80's... That's pretty hot.
  4. boxing... in the high 80's... That's pretty hot.
  5. Storing... in the high 80's... That's pretty hot.
  6. Shipping off the island... in the high 80's... That's pretty hot.
  7. Airports, trucks, weekends, warehouses
We have no control and usually no knowledge of what happened to the cigars before we got them.

Then we get all concerned cause one day the wife moved the humidor close to the radiator and it got hot...

Trust me, cigars are very durable. Only if you are interested in serious storage/aging do you need to be more careful.
Wow Skip I just caught this......what a great way to think about it. I have been freaking out the past couple of days because the humidors got up to about 82 during the day (which happens very rarely). With the AC that I bought they are still around 73-74 but I guess I should not be to concerned. I am always playing with the cigars any way so I should be able to spot  problem if one develops.
Excellent point John.   Sometimes a rationale head is necessary and welcome with the incessant compulsion to incessantly monitor humidity and temp that we all feel.
Thanks for the voice of sanity skip.