Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV advice
I think I need to get a new TV (HD) before hockey season starts.  I'm thinking 42-50". 

Plasma or LCD?  What are the pros and cons of each?  Any experts here?
DLP!
Or the similar technology from some company...jvc calls there's "DILA".
Toshiba and hitachi as well as Samsung make the best DLP.
Clearer,no ghosting like lcd and no short lifespan like plasma.
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televisions/details.asp?id=220

Just replaced our older mitsubishi with this model about 6 months ago. It has been a real pleasure to view.  We have had mitsubishi tv's for 20 years.  No burn in issues with this model no matter what format you view it in! We get HD channels off of dish net, although they only currently offer about 15 channels in HD they seem to be adding a few a year. Hope this helps. Probably more expensive than others the quality is outstanding. 
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
I was actually just looking for a new TV and ended up getting a projector lol hometheater here i come lol

-Ben
I just bought a new LCD last night. A 32" now hanging on the wall in my bedroom (getting rid of the 26" tube has freed up a great amount of space on my dresser-I chose 32" cause it is wide screen and has the same height as the 26).

Anyway, for very large sizes, I love DLP. I have a 62" dlp in my living room. It rocks. Great picture and no screen burn. I find it has decent viewability at all angles. The only issue is glare but that is a bigger problem with LCD.

Plasma is of course the best, but...

1- it burns... any relatively still image will burn the screen (meaning you will continue to see the image when it is gone... forever)

2-it has a short life used or unused... they dont last forever-the plasma gas breaks down

3- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Again, for very large screens I love the DLP. I think Samsung makes the best DLP.

My new LCD is JVC. Great image for the $
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108443-2.html?tag=lnav

They go into detail on all tv's on this link.  LCD and Plasma flat screen.  DLP, LCD, CRT, Lcos rear projections.
I AM LOVING MY NEW JVC BR LCD TV!

I hooked up the VCR (also a JVC) to my TV last night via s-video... man... what a picture!
Great resource, Wingo.  Thanks!
LZ,
That Mitsubishi WD-52631 is actually a little less ($2220) than a comparable 50" Samsung HL-S5087 ($2410).

I'd say those two are the front-runners right now...  And the more I think about it, the more I like the Mitsubishi.  Larger screen, PIP and $200 less expensive...
Alright, last question (maybeTongue) is it worth the extra ~$1000 for 1080p?  I couldn't see any visible difference in most sets I looked at.  And will it even be a factor in the forseable future? 

I could get that same 50" Samsung for $1750 for the 720p model vs. $2400 for 1080p model.  Seems like a pretty expensive upgrade for something I won't even be able to see from my couch 10 feet away.

edited to add:  P.S.  Not to take anything away from any of you and your knowledge on the subject, but seriously, why am I asking a cigar forum about TVs???