Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I never knew what a Northern Stargazer looked like before
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:It was an interesting experience... In all my years on and around the water... even including visiting every aquarium within 600 miles of my house I never saw one of these before.

See, your luck is already making a better turn.....

Although, I have to agree. That was one ugly fish. By Mammalian standards. I'm sure he's the Sean Connery of the fish world.......

Can I gank one of your photos to play around with in Corel, please??
It's hard to keep a good man down.

Check Out Our Blog: www.andthatiswhatheshesaid.blogspot.com

cigars, restaurants, and more!!!

All your ashtrays are belong to us!
Skipper, If you ever catch 1 again, Rob would love it for 1 of his tanks!!
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
thats pretty cool looking,.
Odsman Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:It was an interesting experience... In all my years on and around the water... even including visiting every aquarium within 600 miles of my house I never saw one of these before.

See, your luck is already making a better turn.....

Although, I have to agree. That was one ugly fish. By Mammalian standards. I'm sure he's the Sean Connery of the fish world.......

Can I gank one of your photos to play around with in Corel, please??
sure
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Skipper, If you ever catch 1 again, Rob would love it for 1 of his tanks!!

rob has a SW tank?

Oh man.. i get so many odd fish... including 3" sharks, searobins, fluke and other babies...
First fish I ever caught was a sea robin. From the pier at Jones Beach. I was 7.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Thats a great fish for a 7 year old... I love to entertain kids with them... I tell them God was confused when he made them.

Head covered in a shell like a crab

feet like a land animal

wings like a bird

& croaks like a frog...

the only thing more fun is a blowfish!
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Skipper, If you ever catch 1 again, Rob would love it for 1 of his tanks!!

rob has a SW tank?

Oh man.. i get so many odd fish... including 3" sharks, searobins, fluke and other babies...

At the fall herf remind me to show you the tanks John.  Right now I'm running (2) 90's and a 125.  The wife put the kabosh on the misc 20's, 29's, 10's, and a 55.  I've got all the wet dry filters and so one so we could get one up and running as a sw quickly.

Right now in one of the 90's I have two of these babies growing out.  Quite similar to your stargazers in terms of jaw structure, nocturnal habits, and feeding.

The plus is they breathe air, kill piranhas, and their only natural predator is the aligator.

[Image: wolf-fish-closeup.jpg]

[Image: simg0101ra7.jpg]

[Image: simg0102rz6.jpg]
Right now they're both about 6" so they'll coexist in a 90 (4' footprint).  When they get up to about 12-16" they'll need to be separated and one will go in the 120 with the ~30" arowana. 

Now that's a fun fish. Wink
Very cool... I wonder how they'd get along with a 9" sand shark...
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Very cool... I wonder how they'd get along with a 9" sand shark...

Dead.  Under a minute.  Probably wouldn't even reach the bottom of the tank. 

See these fellows don't nip or bite like other fw preds.  They're worse than snakeheads.  They'll bite and then shake their heads back and forth to stun the prey.  At which point they either rip out a huge chunk of flesh or subdue the prey to the point where they just swallow it headfirst.  Trick is they lock the jaws.  Pretty much have to kill them to get them to let go.

It's amazing that the feds haven't put the kabosh on these like they do with snakeheads and piranhas.  These fellows were released in florida a few years back and did quite well messing up the natural population.

of course the lack of salt would kill the shark mighty quick too lol.

do you keep tanks john?