Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Smoker?
Tri-Tip is really popular in the south and the west.  I have been to every butcher shop within 30 miles of me and not one of them stocks it or even knows how to get it.  I even went as far as bringing them a diagram so they could specially cut it for me, that didnt work out either.

You may luck out and be able to find it by you, but I'm guessing since you are still in the North East you will have the same problem.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
There's a really good butcherover by my mother-in-law (For Rob - "my wife's mother").Wink

She uses them all the time. She's like Julia Child in the kitchen. I'll ask her later on today. 

Thanks again Mark!
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Jan, Mark is right.  I use lump coal and soap my wood either Hickory or Mesquite in water for a couple of hours and than put them in the fire box about half way through for added smoke.  I use a couple of different coals that I can get locally.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
How long does the coal usually burn?
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:How long does the coal usually burn?

It depends on alot of things:

What the outside air temp is

How much meat you are smoking

How big your smoker is

Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark, Po, besides the smoker, coal, hickory (or other wood), and, of course, the meat, What else do I need to get started?
You'll need a charcoal chimney and a meat thermometer

I'd suggest a wireless thermometer with 2 probes, 1 for the meat and 1 for the smoker temp.  I use this one, http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/maresmth.html

It's the Maverick Remote Smoker Thermometer ET-73

Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:How long does the coal usually burn?
I usually load up the fire box with about 5 Ib.s of coal and that lasts about oh I'd say 3-4 hours, I usually end up adding coal twice through my smoking.  Put too much in and your fire is too hot and don't put enough in the fire is not hot enough.  Oh the other thing I would invest in Jan is a wireless thermometer that way you don't have to lift the lid as often.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Sorry, just noticed this thread.  A great smoker company that'll make you one you'll have for the rest of your days is:

http://www.hightide.com/horizon2/products.html#

As for the woods and charcoal to use it's totally up to you but I think you've gotten some great advice so far.  The only thing I'd add is to make friends with your local butcher and talk shop with him.  I gaurantee this will be the greatest help!  Whether it's getting better cuts of meat, custom rubs/sauces,  or just learning the best ways to cook in your area, the butcher always knows.Wink

Have fun and enjoy! 
Tonto, did you ever pick up your new smoker?
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"